Another recipe for you guys as part of my quest to perfect the homemade protein bar! Realistically, I’ll probably never be fully happy with any recipe, because I just want them all to taste like Fulfil Nutrition bars (hands up if you LOVE them too!) – but hey, we may as well have fun trying! I’m a ‘3 meals a day plus bedtime yoghurt bowl’ kinda gal (what a title), but I usually rely on a late morning snack to power me through work until I can grab a few minutes for lunch. I like this snack to be high in protein but also have a little dose of carbs and fats too – that’s just what I find fuels me up best!
These bars can be made with either whey protein or a vegan alternative. I used 2 scoops of My Protein Mocha Flavour Whey, and 2 scoops of That Protein Chirpy Choca Mocha flavour. The only funky-ish ingredient you might wonder about is the date syrup – I wanted to try using this after I listened to a Podcast by Anna Sward of Protein Pow. Date syrup is literally blended dates. I sourced mine in The Health Store but Holland and Barrett would definitely stock it too. Alternatively you could try subbing honey or maple syrup if you’re not fussed about buying it! The texture would be similar.
These bars are freeze-able and the batch makes about 10! Just reheat for 30 seconds or so before eating if you’re freezing them. So here’s the recipe, I’m excited to see what you think! My only criticism of them is that they were a little dry but I think that’s because I left them in the oven for juuuust a little too long…so I’ve adjusted for that for the baking time given below!
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1.5 tsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp ground coffee
- 1 tbsp date syrup (I used Meridian Foods)
- 1 tbsp Carefree Foods Sugar-Free Caramel Syrup (or honey/maple syrup)
- 2 tbsp raw cacao powder
- 50g chopped nuts (I used hazelnuts)
- 1 whole egg
- 4 scoops protein powder (See above for what I used)
- 50g Coconut flour (I used Biona Organic)
- 100ml Almond Milk (+/- a little extra if the mix is a bit dry when combined)
- Pre-heat the oven to 180C (fan oven).
- Combine your dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl – cinnamon, baking powder, coffee, cacao powder, chopped nuts, protein powder and coconut flour.
- Combine your wet ingredients in a smaller bowl – almond milk, 1 egg and date syrup.
- Make a hole in the centre of your dry ingredients, and add the wet ingredients into it.
- Using a large spoon, keep stirring until the wet and dry ingredients are completely combined. If you feel the mixture is a little dry at this stage, feel free to add some extra milk or water.
- Line a baking pan with greaseproof paper, and pour your protein bar mixture in. Using the back of a spoon, smooth the mixture down so that the depth is even throughout the pan.
- Bake in the oven for approximately 25-30 minutes. Check if the bars are done at 25 minutes by inserting a toothpick or fork into the centre of the mixture. If it comes out pretty dry, you’re good to go!
- Leave to cool for 10-15 minutes, then slice the bars up, make a cup of tea and enjoy!
I really hope you like this one guys, I love trying new protein bar recipes as I’m always in need of snack on the go, and it means I can share the successes with you! Tag me if you try them out – @theirishbalance on Instagram!
Ciara 🙂 x