Protein balls. These have been top of my ‘Recipes to Attempt To Master for the Blog’ since the New Year, and last night I decided to just go for it! I’ve been Googling a LOT of variations of recipes for energy balls – and of course there’s SO many ways to make them. I wanted to try a vegan friendly recipe as I’ve been changing up my protein sources recently, and experimenting with that in baking too! As you guys know, I’m a girl who needs a snack or two on the go during the day, and what works best for me is something high in protein, with a little bit of healthy carbs and fats packed in. And if its chocolate flavour as well, then that’s snack perfection right there!
The brands I’ve mentioned below are what I’m currently using for my recipes and for my own cooking, so feel free to personalise this recipe to use what you have in the cupboard! I’m a big fan of the brand That Protein, and using it in this recipe gave these protein balls a gorgeous bitter chocolate taste. But feel free to just go with a more milky Chocolate flavour if that’s your preference! If you wanted a coffee/mocha twist, you could also add a teaspoon of ground coffee to the recipe – I haven’t because the protein I used was ‘Choca-Mocha’ flavour.
These protein balls are full of plant protein and fibre, as well as healthy fats from the nut butter. I’ve used Stevia in this recipe for a lower sugar content. Don’t get me wrong, I also LOVE date-based protein ball recipes, and plan to do one for this blog – all in good time! So here we go guys – Ciara’s Vegan Cacao Protein Balls!
Recipe (Makes 8 small protein balls!)
- 1/4 cup Chocolate flavour Pea or Rice Protein (I used That Protein Chirpy Choca Mocha Brown Rice Protein)
- 1/4 cup Plant Milk (I used Alpro Coconut Almond Milk)
- 2 tbsp Nut Butter (I used Meridian Foods Coconut Peanut Butter)
- 2 tbsp Stevia (I use Canderel Green Stevia)
- 1 tbsp Raw Cacao Powder (I use Nua Naturals brand)
- 2 tsp Ground Almonds
- 1/2 tsp Ground Cinnamon
- Pre-heat the oven to 190C fan oven, and line a baking tray with grease-proof paper.
- Place your dry ingredients in a large bowl and mix well.
- Add your milk slowly, a few drops at a time. Each time you add a little more, mix it up with the dry ingredients until absorbed. This way, you’ll find it easier to get that ‘doughy’ texture, to easily roll the mix into balls. You may find you don’t need all of the liquid you’ve measured out.
- Once you’ve mixed in the milk, add you nut butter, and stir it all up until combined. If its a little too dry at this stage, just add a bit more liquid!
- Using a small spoon and your hands, roll scoops of the mixture into 2 inch size balls. This made 8 for me.
- Place each of the balls onto the baking tray. Once the oven is ready, pop the tray into the oven and bake for approximately 10 minutes.
- Check at 10 minutes, and if the outside of the balls has hardened up a little, that’s them done!
- Store in a tupper-ware box in or out of the fridge, or freeze them up, these protein balls keep well either way!
Enjoy guys! I hope these turn out as good for you. I was so happy to finally nail a protein ball recipe – it’s taken a fair bit of of practice! Tag me if you try these out – @theirishbalance on Instagram!
Ciara 🙂 x