Is there anything more comforting than a big-ass bowl of spicy chilli for dinner after a long day? Um, no. No people, there is not. This chili is definitely another one for the meal prep book guys! I sort of made this recipe up as I went along – as I always do, I started out with a vague idea of what ingredients I wanted, and what spices I felt like. Thankfully, this turned out to be a seriously tasty creation. I’ve included a combination of animal and plant protein in this chili – a combination of lean turkey mince and red kidney beans, packing a great nutritional punch. I’ve mentioned on this blog and on my Instagram a few times over the past couple of months that I’ve done a lot of thinking and reading about protein sources, and animal vs plant protein etc. I’m not a vegetarian, I’m not a vegan, and I don’t think I ever will be. BUT I would call myself a ‘plant-based’ eater, in that I structure my meals around veggies for the most part, and wouldn’t consider a meal complete without a good dose of colourful varied vegetables added to it. I’ve also incorporated 1-2 ‘meat-free’ days into my average week since January, which I’ve stuck to pretty consistently I think. ANYWAY – Ciara gets side-tracked as usual.
This recipe is perfect for meal prep, a quick dinner during the week OR if you’re cooking for a crowd! I recommend having it with a side of whole-grains like brown rice or quinoa, or roasted sweet potato. It’s also perfect with a simple side salad if you’re going for a lighter meal!
Recipe (Makes 4-5 portions)
- 1 tbsp coconut oil, for cooking
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tsp sweet paprika
- 1 tsp harissa seasoning
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp mild chilli powder
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 1 courgette, diced
- 1 grated carrot, diced
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- 1 400g tin of red kidney beans
- 1 400g tin of chopped tomatoes
- 400g lean turkey mince
- 200mls water
- A pinch of sea salt and black pepper, to season
- Heat the coconut oil in a large pot. Add the red onion and minced garlic, and cook for 3-4 minutes until the onions are browned just a little.
- Add the diced carrot and courgette, and cook for another 2-3 minutes.
- Add the turkey mince to the pot, and cook until its a little browned over.
- Now add the spices – paprika, harissa, cumin, cayenne pepper, cinnamon and chili powder. I usually put these into a small bowl before I start cooking and mix them up before adding to the pot.
- Cook for another 3-4 minutes so the spices coat the vegetables and turkey.
- Next, add the tinned tomatoes, tomato puree and water. Give everything a good stir so its well mixed, bring the pot to the boil, and then turn the heat all the way down to a simmer.
- Add the kidney beans, season with sea salt and black pepper and stir again.
- Cover the chili, and let it simmer for 15 minutes or so. As is my own tradition, I recommend doing a taste test at this stage. If you think it needs a little more of a spicy kick, add a sprinkle more cumin or cayenne pepper, stir again, and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Finished! Serve with a grain of your choice (e.g. rice or quinoa), a side salad, or my personal favourite – roasted sweet potato chunks!
Above: Meal Prepped Chili with Roasted Green Pepper, Kale & Sweet Potato
Yum! Tag me if you try this recipe – @theirishbalance on Instagram! I’d love to see your pictures!
Ciara 🙂 x