Ahh, the humble protein mug muffin. Or mug cake? Whatever you want to call it! I’m a big fan of snacks, as you guys know well, and as you know even better, I’m a big fan of high protein snacks. Recently, I was at home studying, and it was that time of day (elevenses, anyone?) when I was craving both coffee and a little something to keep me going until lunchtime. Gotta keep that brain fuelled right? So instead of grabbing one of my homemade protein bars, I decided to try and create a recipe for a quick protein muffin that I could whip up in the microwave. I have made a few of these in the past as a cheeky dessert, and they’ve always been a tasty choice. There’s something deliciously cake-y about microwave muffins, and that was exactly what I was feeling! So here’s my version. I don’t have exact macros for this worked out – that’s not something I really do since I deleted My Fitness Pal. I prefer to just try to eat intuitively, and not fuss too much about things gram for gram. This is a LOT harder than it sounds, especially as someone who is admittedly prone to over-analysing many things, my diet included! But that’s for another blog post (which I’m planning!)
Basically, this minute muffin is packed with protein, pretty low in carbs, and there’s a little bit of healthy fats in there too! I topped mine in the photo with hazelnut pieces for a little extra crunch! Give it a try and let me know what you think, I’d love your feedback on this! Feel free to mix it up a bit by adding berries, or a scoop of nut butter in the centre (hello lava cake!). I can’t wait to see your creations!
- 1 scoop of whey protein powder
- 1 tsp Carefree Foods Caramel Syrup
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tsp coconut oil, melted
- 1 tbsp ground almonds
- 1 tbsp raw cacao powder
- 1 tbsp ground Stevia (I use Green Canderel brand)
- 50ml almond milk
- Take a large mug, place your dry ingredients (protein powder, baking powder, ground almonds, cacao powder and stevia) in it, and stir until mixed well.
- Take a smaller mug, and add your wet ingredients to it (caramel syrup, vanilla extract, melted coconut oil and almond milk) and mix together.
- Create a little well in the centre of your dry ingredients.
- Pour your wet ingredients into the well, and stir everything together into a smooth batter.
- Microwave for about 1 minute 30 seconds. You may need to cook for a little longer depending on your microwave power – mine needed about 2 minutes! Keep an eye on the muffin – it rises quickly so you’ll need to stop and start the time a bit!
- Allow to cool for a few minutes, then pop the mug upside down so the muffin slides out onto a plate.
- Make yourself a cuppa coffee, and tuck in!
Enjoy guys! This is a super-speedy high-protein snack, a nice change up from a protein bar if you’re a fan of those! Its also perfect for a late night treat with some greek yoghurt and a square of dark chocolate – my personal favourite way to have it! Tag me if you try it out – @theirishbalance on Instagram!
Ciara 🙂 x