Well hello! We have arrived to WEEK THREE of my Summer Salad Series, and I’m excited to bring you a new recipe after a looong week of night shifts. It feels SO GOOD to get back onto daylight hours after a tough week on-call. I feel tired but positive about it, I was TERRIFIED this time last Sunday and I’m so proud of myself for getting through it. And since I’m straight back into day shifts this week, I figured what better opportunity than today to get a new meal-prep recipe going for you guys!
So my overall inspiration for this recipe is a salad-style take on a roast turkey dinner. You know the classic ingredients I mean – turkey, spuds, cranberry sauce, brussel sprouts, roasted veggies – YUM! So I’ve decided to retain SOME of those aspects in this recipe, while of course giving the whole thing the Ciara treatment. This salad has all of your key macro-nutrients with some veggie goodness too – turkey, wholegrain and red rice, roasted veggies, plus cranberries and hazelnuts for a fruity crunch on top! Feel free to use whatever rice you like – I’ve gone for convenience this week using Uncle Ben’s Express Microwave Rice. I’m a big fan of these packs – they’re pretty clean, and have a whole range of healthy varieties – wholegrain, brown and red rice, and quinoa mixes too! They’re widely available in supermarkets, and 1 pack is 2 servings! You guys know I cook from scratch pretty much 99% of the time, but I have a few favourites for ready-made food, and this is definitely one of them! Now, to the recipe!
Recipes (Serves 4)
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil or coconut oil
- 1/2 tsp ground sweet paprika
- 2 x 250g Packs of Uncle Ben’s Express Wholegrain & Red Rice (Of course, you can use dry uncooked rice either but these packs are brilliant, the brand Tilda do a few versions too!)
- 2 x 120g Packs of Roast Turkey Slices (I used the Greene Farm brand) (Alternatively, get yourself 4 turkey breasts and roast in the oven to cook!)
- 4 medium sized carrots, halved and sliced lengthways
- 2 green bell peppers, chopped into 1 inch thick strips
- 50g dried cranberries
- 50g chopped raw hazelnuts
- Pre-heat the oven to 200C (fan oven), and line a baking tray with tinfoil.
- Chop up your carrots and peppers, then toss them in a little olive or coconut oil and paprika. Spread them across the baking tray, and roast for 25-30 minutes.
- Next, microwave the two packs of Express Rice in the microwave for 2 minutes each. When done, tip the rice into a large bowl and fluff it up using a fork. Set aside to cool.
- Dice up the cooked turkey slices/breast and set aside on a small plate.
- When the veggies are done (i.e. slightly crisped and softened), remove from the oven and leave to cool for a couple of minutes.
- Add your cranberries and hazelnuts to the rice, and stir so they’re well mixed in.
- Tip your roasted veggies into the bowl of rice and mix again.
- Finally, add the turkey pieces, and toss all the ingredients one final time.
- Voila! Your Roast Turkey Salad is ready!
Enjoy guys! I hope you like this one – its sort of a twist on a roast turkey dinner, and I’m really pleased with the final result! Tag me if you try it out –@theirishbalance on Instagram!
Ciara 🙂 x