Well boys and girls, I have another success to share with you! I’ve mentioned a few times on Instagram that pumpkin seed butter was VERY high on my list of recipes to try for the blog, and this weekend I decided it was time to give it a go! I have made this before, a couple of years ago (before my Insta/blogging days!), after I came back from a medical placement in Baltimore. I discovered Pumpkin Seed butter (among many other AMAZING foodie finds) in Wholefoods over there, and so began my obsession. With nut butter AND Wholefoods!
One major reason I make my own nut and seed butters is simply because I disagree with how EXPENSIVE the more exotic types are to buy in health stores. I’ve seen Pumpkin Seed butter priced at as much as ten or eleven squids for a TINY jar. Mental. This recipe costs about a quarter of that to make, and you get twice as much volume! WIN.
Anyway, take two a couple of years later, and here we are with another success! The ingredients and method for this seed butter are pretty simple and straight-forward, and follow the pattern of my other nut butter recipes. I’ve toasted the seeds before blending, and added a little Brown Rice & Raw Cacao Protein Powder using the brand That Protein, – I’ve mentioned before how much I love their stuff, especially to give recipes a chocolate-y protein-packed kick! You can include or change this to your own brand, or leave out entirely! So let’s get to the good stuff!
- 1 tbsp coconut oil, melted
- 300g Raw Pumpkin Seeds (I bought mine in Lidl)
- A pinch of sea salt
- 1 tbsp of Protein Powder (I used That Protein Brown Rice & Raw Cacao)
- Note: As with my Pecan Butter, you can leave out the protein powder if you want, OR use your own preferred brand/variety!
- Optional: I don’t usually add sweeteners to my nut/seed butters, but if you prefer a sweeter taste you could add 1 tbsp of honey/maple/agave/stevia, whatever you like!
- Required: A Food Processor/Nutribullet/Powerblender
- Toast your pumpkin seeds in a large pan for approximately 10 minutes on a medium heat until they start to brown, make popping noises and jump out of the pan – this really happens!
- Tip the seeds into your blender cup. Add your melted coconut oil.
- Sprinkle the sea salt on top of the seeds.
- Add your protein powder if using, and screw on the blender/food processor cup.
- Time to blend! As with my other nut butter recipes, the time required for this will vary depending on the blender/processor you use, and how powerful it is. I used my Nutribullet, and it took about 10-15 minutes of blending to get to that creamy stage where the oils are released from the seeds (aka GOALS). I usually blend in bursts, and take little breaks in between to scrape down the sides of the cup and shake up the mixture!
Note: If you’re blending like a mad thing for AGES and getting nowhere, you might need to add a little more coconut oil to the mix, so give that a try if you’re stuck!
Enjoy guys! I now officially have more nut and seed butter in my cupboard than I know what to do with…:) I really hope you like this recipe – tag me if your try it out, @theirishbalance on Instagram or Twitter!
Ciara 🙂 x