BREAD. Why did God invent bread guys? Well, in my opinion, its so we could slice it up, toast it and COVER it with nut butter. Anyone else agree? You know its true!
So, making my own bread is something I’ve been doing for a few years, but being honest, not frequently. Mostly because it can be pretty time consuming, plus I’m a big fan of the Biona Organic Bread range (in most supermarkets/health stores), so a lot of the time I have a loaf of Biona Rye or Seed bread in my freezer ready to use. BUT as you guys know, I love making things from scratch, and for that reason, as well as for this blog, I’m developing a few easy-to-make bread recipes. I’ve got a couple of Sweet Potato & Oat breads on this blog already, and next on my list was to try buckwheat and spelt loaves! So first up we have a Buckwheat & Chia Seed Loaf, which is created using easy-to-source ingredients, and takes very little time to throw together! So let’s get to it, I can’t wait to see what you think!
Recipe (Makes 1 Loaf)
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tbsp honey
- 16g Fast Acting Dried Yeast
- 500g Buckwheat Flour
- 400-450mls Lukewarm Water
- 50g Whole Chia Seeds
- 50g Pumpkin Seeds
- A pinch of sea salt
- Take a small bowl, and mix the honey, yeast and 2-3 tbsp of the water together in it.
- Take a large bowl, and add the flour, sea salt, ground cinnamon and seeds to it. Stir everything together until combined.
- Add the yeast/honey/water mixture to the large bowl, and add 400ml of the lukewarm water.
- Time to get some arm gains! Mix everything together until all the flour is combined with the liquid ingredients. If the dough is a little dry, add the remaining 50ml of water.
- Cover the bowl with a tea towel, and leave aside for 30 minutes.
- Pre-heat the oven to 220C (fan oven).
- After the 30 minutes, spoon the dough into a lined baking tin, and bake for 10 mins at 220C – then lower the oven temperature to 200C.
- Continue baking at 200C for another 30 minutes.
- Check the bread at this time by piercing the dough with a toothpick or fork. If it comes out dry, you’re good to go!
- Leave to cool for 15-20 minutes in the baking tin, then get slicing! (And layering your slices with nut butter obviously…)
Enjoy guys! I really hope you like this recipe, it’s super simple, and takes very little time – perfect for a weekend day to make a loaf for the week ahead! Tag me if you try it out – @theirishbalance on Instagram!
Ciara 🙂 x
One thought on “Buckwheat & Chia Seed Loaf”