GUYS. Finally, I get to share this recipe with you! I have been trying SO HARD all week to get this recipe pictured and posted but as you’ll know if you follow me on Instagram, work has been cra-zy. ANYWAY! Today, my recipe to share is these delicious Chickpea Protein Blondies, and I’m so excited about them! I’ve been snacking on them all week in work, and I’m so chuffed I’ve finally managed a great texture WITH great taste for a chickpea bar.
Chickpeas are SO versatile – I love eating them in salads, in curries/stews, roasted as a crunchy snack, and now of course blended up into delicious plant-based protein bars! I was lucky enough to be sent the new Nutty Peanut Butter Super Protein Powder from the lovely guys at That Protein. If you haven’t heard of this brand, they’re one of my absolute favourite (favourite? Definitely so far anyway!) plant protein powder companies – I love their flavours (Chirpy Choca Mocha – EPIC) and whole food ethos too. And when I saw this exciting new protein on the way, and PEANUT BUTTER at that, I knew I’d have to create a new recipe for you with it!
These bars are really simple and quick to make. You’ll need a blender/Nutribullet/food processor. The ingredients are so clean and wholesome – it always makes me so happy to have homemade snack bars, because I recognise what all the ingredients are! I used to eat FAR too many processed protein bars (nearly one a day at one stage) last year, and couldn’t figure out why my skin was breaking out despite an otherwise wholefood, plant-based diet. Once I cut those bars down BIGTIME (very occasionally now, we’re talking 1 every 2-3 weeks if even), my skin totally cleared up. I’m not saying these bars were entirely to blame, but I definitely believe they were a factor! Just an interesting personal observation for me! Anyhoo, let’s get baking! These bars can be vegan-friendly too – just try subbing the egg for a mashed banana!
Recipe (Makes 8 Blondies)
- 1 400g can of chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 whole egg (Try subbing with Banana if vegan)
- 150mls Almond Milk (or other milk)
- 1 tbsp melted coconut oil
- 1 tbsp honey/agave/maple/sweetener of choice
- 2 tbsp peanut butter (I use Meridians Foods Smooth Peanut Butter)
- 1 scoop (30g) That Protein Peanut Butter Super Protein Powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Topping: Cacao Nibs (I use Nua Naturals brand)
- Preheat the oven to 175C (fan oven) and line an 8×8 inch baking tray (mine is about 1 inch deep) with grease-proof paper or spray with non-stick cooking spray.
- Combine the chickpeas, peanut butter, , sweetener, egg/banana, coconut oil and almond milk in a blender or food processor (I used my Nutribullet). You may need to shake up the mixture and blend again until liquid-like in consistency.
- Place your protein powder, cinnamon and baking powder into a mixing bowl.
- Pour the blended ingredients into the bowl with the dry ingredients. Using a spoon, mix together until everything completely combined. Add a little extra milk at this stage if you feel it is too dry.
- Pour the mix into your baking tray, and bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes. A toothpick should come out clean at this stage! I recommend checking at 25 minutes.
- Leave to cool in the tray for 10 minutes, then slice the brownies up!
Enjoy guys! Let me know what you think of this recipe – I was delighted with the brownie/blondie texture I got, another baking success! I really love making snacks like this for work – it always gives me a little boost to have a cheeky blondie packed in the bag for when hanger strikes! Tag me if you try this recipe out – @theirishbalance on Instagram!
Ciara 🙂 x