YASSSSSSSS – the only word (is it a word? I think so.) I can use to describe my happiness with this new recipe. LOADED SWEET POTATOES PEOPLE. If that doesn’t scream ‘NOM’ to you…then I’m sorry, we can’t be friends.
Kidding! But jokes aside, trust me, this is a good one. My latest veggie-friendly creation is a twist on a recipe I made with the boyf years ago – Mexi-Cali Sweet Potatoes. That time, we cooked up some chicken, onions and peppers in traditional Mexican spices, and served the mix on top of roasted sweet potatoes, topped with avocado and yoghurt! It was DELICIOUS. So this week I thought, why not try that again, but vegetarian style? And as you know, I’m having a bit of a smoked tofu obsession these days, so I’ve used that as my protein source here! But as always, you can absolutely customise this recipe to whatever way you like – chicken and beef mince are great choices with the Mexican flavours here (think fajitas and burritos!) So! Time to get to the good stuff!
Recipe (Serves 5)
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tsp mild chili powder
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 400g tin of chopped tomatoes
- 300ml of water/stock
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 cup of broccoli florets
- 2 handfuls of spinach leaves
- 1 400g tin of Black Beans (drained and rinsed)
- 250g Smoked or Plain Tofu (Feel free to sub meat here as always!)
- Sweet Potatoes – This depends on how many you’re serving or days you’re meal prepping for – I used 2 small sweet potatoes for each tupperware!
- A pinch of sea salt and black pepper, to season
- Pre-heat the oven to 200C (fan oven), and line a baking tray with tin foil.
- When the oven is ready, lay the sweet potatoes out on the tray, and bake in the oven for 30-40 minutes, depending on the size of the potatoes!
- Chop your veggies and garlic, and set aside for a minute.
- Set a large pot on a medium heat, and add the olive oil.
- Next, add the red onions and garlic, and cook for 3-4 minutes until the onions are translucent.
- Add your spices to the onions, and cook for another couple of minutes until the onions are coated and your kitchen is smelling goooood!
- Next, chuck the rest of your veggies into the pot, and fry for another few minutes.
- Add the tinned tomatoes, water/stock, and black beans, and stir all that deliciousness up so it’s well mixed.
- Tofu time! Slice up your tofu into 1 inch chunks, and add to the stew. Stir it all again, sprinkle in a little sea salt and black pepper, and bring to the boil. If you feel it needs it, add a little extra water.
- Turn down the heat to a simmer or your lowest heat, and cook for about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- When the sweet potatoes are ready, remove from the oven and leave aside to cool for a few minutes. Turn off the heat on the stew.
- Time to assemble! Place your sweet potato onto a plate, and slice open.
- Scoop a serving of your Mexican stew out on top…and inhale. Bliss right?
- Finish with a few chunks of avocado or a dollop of greek yoghurt or soured cream!
Enjoy guys! This is a pretty frickin’ fabulous little dish, and I can’t wait to see your creations! Tag me if you try this recipe out – @theirishbalance on Instagram or Twitter!
Ciara 🙂 x
One thought on “Veggie on a Budget #6: Mexican Style Loaded Sweet Potatoes with Black Bean & Tofu Stew”