NOM. That is the only word I have for this creation. I absolutely LOVE smokey beans – my favourite spot in Dublin that I’ve had them has to be Pitt Bros! I also love Smokey flavour baked beans by the Irish company Cool Beans – if you haven’t tried them, get on it! Saying that, making my own recipe for smokey beans has been my on my blog ‘to do’ list for a LONG time, and I’m deeelighted to say I’ve finally nailed it! Smoked paprika and cumin are two of my favourite spices to cook with, and they’re totally essential here! I really hope you enjoy these are much as I do – they’re really quick and simple to make, with easily sourced ingredients. This recipe is also perfect for any time of day – a decadent breakfast, a plant protein packed lunch, and a tasty speedy dinner!
Recipe (Serves 4-5)
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp ground smoked paprika
- 2 tbsp tamari or soy sauce
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 1 400g tin of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 400g tin of chopped tomatoes
- A pinch of black pepper
- Heat the olive oil in a small saucepan on the hob/stove.
- Add the chopped red onions, and cook for 3-4 minutes until translucent.
- Add each of your spices and herbs to the onions – cumin, smoked paprika, coriander, thyme, and cayenne pepper – and cook for another couple of minutes until the onions are fully coated.
- Add the tin of chopped tomatoes, with a little extra water from rinsing the bottom of the tin, and stir everything together.
- Add the tamari/soy sauce and chickpeas, add a pinch of black pepper, mix it all up again, and bring to the boil.
- Turn the heat down to a simmer, and cook for about 7-10 minutes, stirring every so often.
- Your smokey beans are READY! Serve on top of a roasted sweet potato (or regular spud!), a toasted slice of bread, a serving of quinoa, whatever takes your fancy! Those are just my favourites to eat these beans with – and I highly recommend a chunk of avocado or natural yoghurt on top!
A scoop of Smokey Beans with Roasted Sweet Potato, Avocado & Veggies!
Enjoy guys! I would LOVE to see your creations of this recipe – tag me if you try this one out! You know where I’m at by now – @theirishbalance on Instagram/Twitter/Facebook!
Ciara 🙂 x
3 thoughts on “Smokey Baked Beans – The Irish Balance Style”