This recipe doesn’t need much of an introduction guys. As many of you know, I LOVE nut butter. I am a self-confessed nut butter addict. And dang proud of it! As you’ll see on my blog, I’ve been posting recipes for my homemade nut and seed butters for a while now – I’ve taken on cashew, almond, walnut and pecan butter, as well as pumpkin seed butter! I love to make my own because first of all, it’s an awesome feeling to be able to make something from scratch, and I get to share that creation with you guys! Secondly, I think a lot of quality (i.e. minimal ingredients except the nuts themselves) nut butters are over-priced, particularly anything that ISN’T peanut butter. Its a LOT cheaper to make your own at home, allowing for an investment in a decent food processor/blender (I own a Nutribullet and swear by it).
So! Let’s get onto the latest edition in The Irish Balance Nut Butter Range – this time I couldn’t decide which type I wanted to make, so I just went for a good old mix with the added punch of chia seeds!
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 250g Raw Unsalted Mixed Nuts (I bought mine in Super Value!)
- 3 tbsp of Chia Seeds (I used a Lidl Brand)
- Optional: I don’t usually add sweeteners to my nut/seed butters, but if you prefer a sweeter taste you could add 1 tbsp of honey/maple/agave/stevia, whatever you like!
- Required: A Food Processor/Nutribullet/Power-blender
- Pre-heat the oven to 200C, and line a baking tray with tinfoil.
- When the oven is ready, spread the mixed nuts onto the tin foil, and roast in the oven for approximately ten minutes, checking at 5 minutes to make sure they’re not burning!
- When the nuts are done (should be medium browned), allow to cool for 5 minutes, and then tip them into your blender cup.
- Next heap in your chia seeds.
- Add the olive oil. Screw on the blender cap, give the cup a shake, and attach to the blender/processor.
- Time to blend! As with my other nut butter recipes, the time required for this will vary depending on the blender/processor you use, and how powerful it is. I used my Nutribullet as always, and it took about 5-7 minutes of blending to get to that creamy stage where the oils are released from the seeds.
Enjoy guys! Another step in my journey to own my own nut butter range and shop…a girl can dream right? Tag me if you try this one out – @theirishbalance on Instagram/Twitter/Facebook!
Ciara 🙂 x