Okay, it’s time to share this recipe with you all. I’ve been teasing you on Instagram with my Hot Chocolate Proats for FAR too long, and finally this week I’ve gotten the time to write it down to share with you! Overnight Oats is one of the simplest, quickest make-ahead breakfasts you can nourish yourself with, and it’s a major go-to for me. But with the winter months officially here, I’ve been craaaving hot breakfasts – so I decided to have my cake and eat it too – by heating my overnight oats the next day to make warm porridge! My breakfast is usually my post-workout meal, so it’s a key meal for me. I always try to have a good dose of protein and slow release carbohydrates in there, with a little kick of healthy fats – which is where nut butter fits perfectly into this recipe! So, time to share the secret recipe – keep reading, because now you can have hot chocolate for breakfast too!
Recipe (Serves 1)
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp ground giner
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp cacao powder
- 1 tbsp nut butter
- 1 tbsp whole chia seeds
- 1 whole ripe banana
- 1 serving of Chocolate Protein Powder
- 50g Quick Cook Oats (I use Flahavan’s Progress Oatlets!)
- 150ml Milk of Choice (I use Coconut Milk!)
- 50ml water (or you could use extra milk!)
- 1 small handful of berries
- In a small tupperware container, combine the oats, spices, chia seeds, cacao powder and protein powder.
- Next, add the milk and water, and stir everything until combined.
- Soak the mixture overnight in the fridge.
- In the morning, add a little extra liquid if required, and then microwave for 3 minutes. If you don’t want to eat from the tupperware, then transfer to a bowl before reheating!
- Slice the banana in coins, and place on top of the oats, along with the berries. Again, if required, add a splash more liquid. The liquid you become expert at with practice!
- Heat in the microwave for another 1 minute. This heats the banana and berries, and gives your proats a super creamy texture!
- Spoon your nut butter on top of your creamy hot chocolate oats, and you’re good to go!
Tag me if you try these out guys – @theirishbalance on Instagram/Twitter/Facebook! I hope you become as hopelessly addicted to them as I am!
Ciara 🙂 x