MERRY CHRISTMAS YA FILTHY ANIMALS! Gang, The Irish Balance is, as you know, a HUGE Christmas gal – it is literally my FAVOURITE time of year – the most wonderful indeed! I love EVERYTHING about it – the tree, the lights, the warmth at home, family and friends coming together, the FOOD (duh!), the gift of giving – I could go on for days!
So, I wanted to celebrate Christmas 2017 by sharing a special recipe with you, one you can make and leave out for Santa himself! They are OF COURSE flavoured with my favourite seasonal spices – cinnamon, ginger and nutmeg – and have a cheeky little dose of cacao nibs in there for some chocolate-y goodness. Shall we get baking? Yes please!
And before we get into the recipe – I want to wish each and every single one of you beautiful people a very VERY Merry Christmas! Have a wonderful holiday and remember to keep that #christmasbalance going and just live in the moment!
Recipe (Makes 10 Cookies)
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tbsp whole chia seeds
- 2 tbsp coconut oil, melted
- 1 tbsp nut butter of choice
- 1 tbsp sweetener of choice (e.g. honey, maple syrup, agave, date syrup!)
- 1 whole ripe banana, mashed
- 80-100ml milk of choice (I used Koko Dairy Free Coconut Milk)
- 150g instant oats, blended into flour (I use Flahavan’s)
- 2 tbsp cacao nibs or chocolate chips
- Pre-heat the oven to 200C (fan oven).
- Line a baking tray with tinfoil and grease it with a little olive oil or melted coconut oil – this stops your cookies sticking when you bake them!
- Take a large mixing bowl, and add the dry ingredients to it – oat flour, spices, baking powder, chia seeds and cacao nibs. Mix well using a big spoon.
- Create a little well in the centre of your mix, and add the mashed banana, milk, nut butter, honey/syrup/sweetener and melted coconut oil.
- Stir everything up until you get a mixture that is 70% wet, 30% dry – hopefully that makes sense! You want a thick batter that you can spoon out pretty easily.
- Spoon out a chunk of the batter (approx. a big tablespoon size) and place it onto your baking tray. Use the back of the spoon or your fingers to flatten it a little.
- Repeat by ten!
- Bake in the oven for 20 minutes, then remove and allow to cool for about 5!
Enjoy guys, and MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL – and to all a good COOKIE! Tag me if you try these out – @theirishbalance on Instagram/Twitter/Facebook and use the hashtag #christmasbalance !