Apple Berry Crumble. Oh yes. Today guys, I’m sharing a beautiful simple dessert recipe with you to try for your own family and friend get togethers this holiday season! I made this crumble for our family Christmas Day dessert – and it was a massive hit, on my first trial! I absolutely LOVE the taste and texture of cooked fruit like strawberries, raspberries, blackberries – and we all know an apple a day keeps the doctor away right? So, let’s get our bake-off game on – I hope you love this one as much as me!
Recipe (Serves 7-8)
For the Crumble Topping
- 130g oats (I use Flahavan’s Quick Cook Oatlets)
- 70g oats, blended into flour
- 3 tbsp ground almonds
- 2 tbsp sliced almonds
- 2 tbsp honey or maple syrup
- 3 tbsp melted coconut oil
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
For the Fruity Filling
- 6 Red Apples (I use Pink Lady)
- 200g Blackberries
- 3 tbsp date or maple syrup
- 200ml water
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
Step 1: Make the Fruit Filling
- Pre heat the oven to 180C (fan oven)
- Peel the apples, and chop into quarters. Slice out the core bit, and then half each quarter again.
- Heat a pot on the hob on medium heat and add the apples, berries and water.
- Next, add the syrup and cinnamon, and stir it all together.
- Bring the to boil and then turn down to a simmer, then cover and leave for 10 minutes while you make the crumble topping.
Step 2: Make the Topping & Assemble!
- Add the dry ingredients to a mixing bowl – oats, oat flour, cinnamon, plus the ground and sliced almonds. Stir to combine.
- Create a small well in the centre of the mix and then add the wet ingredients to it – honey and melted coconut oil. Stir into the oats until combined – add a little more honey or oil if it’s too dry after mixing.
- Take a large baking tin and line it with greaseproof paper.
- Turn off the pot on the hob, and spoon the cooked fruit into the base of the tin so that it evenly covers the bottom to about 1 inch depth, and add a little of the cooking water to stop it drying as it bakes.
- Scoop the crumble filling on top of the fruit, making sure it covers the base evenly and is about an inch thick too!
- Bake in the oven for 25 – 30 minutes, then remove and allow to cool for 15 minutes before serving! I love having this crumble with a spoonful or three of Natural Yoghurt – see below, my favourite is Glenisk Natural Protein Yoghurt.
Enjoy gang! I’m so excited to be sharing this gorgeous dessert with you – it’s perfect for a family dinner dessert or a party dish too! Tag me if you try it out – @theirishbalance on Instagram/Twitter/Facebook!
Ciara 🙂 x