All riiight, it’s NEW RECIPE time! And today, we’re talking BREAKFAST. I was so excited to hear from the lovely gang at Vega just before Christmas, who got in touch with me to ask if I would like to get on board with their ‘Vega One Tub Test’, to get creative in my kitchen and see how I felt after trying just one tub of their Vega Essentials Nutritional Powder. I of course said YES! This recipe (which I know you’re gonna LOVE) is perfect for these dark January mornings when we need a quick nourishing and delicious breakfast to fuel us up for the day ahead! Vega sent me a fantastic delivery to get me started, including a tub of their Vega Essentials Nutritional Powder in Vanilla flavour (NOM), a gorgeous recipe booklet for inspiration, a beautiful breakfast bowl to showcase my creations, my own Vega mason jar for smoooothies (stay tuned for that!), mini muffin cases (hint hint for today’s creation!) for baking, and mini kilner jars with plant-based toppings to experiment with!
This post is both a delicious recipe, and to tell you a little bit about the Vega Essentials powder, because I get a LOT of questions about which plant-based protein powders I use, and what my faves are, so hopefully some of you will find it useful to hear about Vega. Which, I’m delighted to say, I am finding a fab new brand in terms of taste, texture and ease of us in baking AND breakfasts I love like overnight oats and smoothies!
The Vega Essentials is a nutritional powder made from a blend of pea, flaxseed and hemp, plus added ingredients from leafy greens and vegetables. It’s got 20g of protein per scoop, plus great doses of fibre, vitamins and some minerals and omega-3 too! It’s also available in Chocolate flavour too! It’s suitable for all you vegetarians, vegans, and those who need to be gluten-free too. You’ve heard enough good vibes – let’s get baking!
Recipe (Makes 4 Servings – 12 Muffins Total – 1 Serving = 3 Muffins)
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 4 tbsp almonds, chopped (for topping)
- 2 ripe bananas, mashed
- 2/3 of a medium courgette, peeled & grated
- 200g Quick Cook Oats (I used Flavahan’s)
- 4 scoops of Vanilla Vega Essentials Nutritional Powder
- 400ml of milk of choice (I use Almond or Coconut Milk)
- 6 Figs, chopped into halves
- Pre-heat the oven to 200C (fan oven). Take a baking tray suitable for muffins and place muffin cases into each spot on the tray.
- Get a large mixing bowl and add your dry ingredients – oats, spices, nuts, and protein powder – and mix until combined.
- Add your wet ingredients next – milk, mashed banana, and grated courgette. Stir until you have a batter-like texture.
- Sprinkle the chopped almonds on top of each muffin.
- Place a fig half on top – as artistically as you like!
- Bake in the oven for 30 minutes. Check at 25 with a toothpick to see if it comes out 99% clean (my golden rule!).
- Leave to cool for 10-15 minutes until removing from the tray – then tuck in! You can also freeze batches of these muffins for breakfasts ready for a busy week ahead!
Enjoy guys! Tag me if you try this out – @theirishbalance on Instagram/Twitter/Facebook! Any additional questions about the Vega Essentials powder just holla at me here or on Instagram!