I’m not sure how many hummus recipes I have on my blog at this stage…but I’m totally jazzed to add another! I’ve gotten into a habit this year of making a weekly batch of hummus at home, simply because it’s such a fantastic food to have in the fridge. Packed full of plant-based protein and fibre, hummus is a wonderful choice as a snack, a side, you name it! It’s a great source of protein for vegetarians and vegans. I realised last year just how simple it is to make your own hummus – yes, it’s easy to buy a pre-made version, but if you have the key ingredients in stock, why not try making your own? All you need is a few key ingredients – tahini is probably the only thing you might have had to visit a health store for in the past, but to be honest, nowadays you’ll find it in most supermarkets beside the nut butters! This time around, I had kidney beans in my cupboard, and decided to change it up a little by making a mixed bean hummus! I hope you find it as tasty as I do!
Recipe (Makes 1 big jar of hummus)
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon of tahini
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon of water
- 1/2 of a 400g tin of Chickpeas
- 1/2 of a 400g tin of Red Kidney Beans
- This couldn’t be simpler! Add everything to your blender cup, screw on the cap, and give it a shake!
- Then blend until you get a creamy texture – if it’s sticking a little, just add a teensy bit extra water or olive oil at a time!
- Serve and enjoy! I love eating hummus with chopped raw veg, as a topping on a salad, with a roasted sweet potato, on its own with a spoon – the possibilities are endless!
Enjoy! Tag me if you try this out – @theirishbalance on Instagram/Twitter/Facebook!
Ciara 🙂 x