Well gang, The Irish Balance has done it. A NON-OATS BREAKFAST RECIPE. I know. I was scared too. Jokes aside, this is a frickin’ good one. I’m a big fan of quinoa, and despite that, I don’t cook with it often enough. I’ve got a couple of quinoa recipes on my blog already (like my Chocolate Chip Quinoa Cashew Bars and my Mexican Quinoa Salad) but I figured it was about time I changed up my breakfast game. Quinoa is a brilliant food, a complete protein (i.e. it contains all nine of our essential amino acids), and a great choice for so many different kinds of meals – salads, a side to dinner, porridge, snack bars, you name it! In this recipe, I’ve kept my love of breakfast bakes in the mix, as I’ve found them super handy to take wrapped on the go as I head to work from the gym in the mornings. I’m so excited to see what you guys think of this latest creation! Let’s bake dudes!
Recipe (Makes 4 Servings)
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tbsp ground flaxseed (you can sub here for extra quinoa if you want!)
- 1 tbsp whole chia seeds
- 2 tbsp ground almonds
- 1 cup of uncooked quinoa
- 4 servings of protein powder of choice (I use Vegan blends!)
- 200ml of milk of choice + a splash (trust me!)
- 2 ripe bananas, mashed to liquid consistency
- 1 big handful of blueberries
- 6 dried figs, chopped into quarters (Use nut or fruit alternatives if you want!)
- This couldn’t be simpler! Pre-heat the oven to 200C (fan oven).
- Line a baking tin with greaseproof paper, or tinfoil greased with a little olive or coconut oil.
- Grab a large mixing bowl, and add your dry ingredients – quinoa, protein powder, ground almonds, flaxseed, chia seeds and cinnamon.
- Stir these up, and then add your mashed bananas and milk (except for the splash!).
- Get that arm action going – mix everything together until you have a batter consistency. Now, add your splash of milk – it stops the bake going a bit too dry.
- Pour the chocolate-y goodness into your baking tin, and arrange the chopped figs on top as artistically as you like!
- Bake in the oven for 40 minutes. Check at 40, and if a toothpick comes out 99% clean, you’re good to go!
- Allow to cool for about half an hour before slicing up!
Enjoy guys! I hope you enjoy this yummy change up from my usual oaty creations! Tag me if you try this one out – @theirishbalance on Instagram/Twitter/Facebook!
Ciara 🙂 x