A little variation of my previous recipe for Chocolate Peanut Chickpeas, this recipe is a super quick, super simple plant-based tasty snack you can make for a busy week ahead! I love these crunchy chickpeas on their own, or on top of salads, buddha bowls, and even my yoghurt bowls and porridge (don’t judge until you’ve tried it!). Yet more proof that chickpeas RULE! Let’s get cooking!
Recipe (Makes 1 jar of chickpeas)
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 400g tin of chickpeas
- 1 tbsp cacao powder (I use the Aldi Ireland brand)
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- Pre-heat the oven to 180C (fan oven). Line a baking tray with tinfoil, and grease it a little with olive or coconut oil.
- Drain and rinse the chickpeas, and place in a small bowl.
- Take a paper towel, place on top of the chickpeas and ensuring you’ve got a grip on the sides of bowl, tip upside down so that the excess water drains into the towel. Alternatively, you could spread the chickpeas onto a tray and pat dry.
- Add the olive oil to the chickpeas and mix well.
- Next, add your spices – cacao and cinnamon!
- Stir everything up together so that the chickpeas are well coated. If you feel they are a little dry/powdery, add a touch more olive oil.
- Spread the chickpeas out onto the baking tray, and when the oven is ready, roast them in the oven for 10-15 minutes, checking halfway through to turn them.
- If you feel they’re crispy enough after 10 minutes, just pop them out then – and if at 15 minutes you think they’re not quite there yet, give it another 5!
- Leave to cool on the baking tray for about 10 minutes – then try to resist eating them all at once!
- Store in an airtight container for about a week!
Enjoy guys! I am SO excited to see what you think of this recipe! As always, tag me if you try the chickpeas out – @theirishbalance on Instagram, Facebook or Twitter!
Ciara 🙂 x