Time for a new plant-based meal prep recipe gang! Lately, I’ve been on an absolute roll of making my Butter Bean Cashew Dahl, which is one of my all-time favourite recipes on the blog, plus it’s been a big hit with you guys too – a win win! So after making the dahl for a recent week of night shifts, I decided it was time to change it up a little. I couldn’t resist continuing a cashew vibe, so this time around I’ve created a cheeky little vegetarian curry recipe using lentils and chickpeas, topped with cashews for nutty good-fat goodness! Chickpeas and lentils are two of my go-to sources of plant protein, and so combining these makes for an epic, filling, fibre-happy meal! So, let’s cook!
Recipe (Serves 4-5)
- 1/4 tsp medium chili powder
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1 red onion
- 1 green pepper
- 1 cup of broccoli florets
- 3 handfuls of washed spinach leaves
- 1 400g tin of Bijoux Verts Lentils (I use the brand Epicure)
- 1 400g tin of chickpeas
- 1 400ml tin of chopped tomatoes + 400ml liquid from rinsing the tin
- 50-75g of unsalted cashews, chopped
- A twist of black pepper + A pinch of sea salt
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil, for cooking
- Prepare your veggies by chopping them in advance and set aside in small bowls.
- Heat the olive oil in a pot on a medium heat, then add the garlic and red onion, and cook for 3-4 minutes until a little translucent.
- Add your spices and cook for another 2-3 minutes to coat the onions.
- Add the green pepper and broccoli, and stir again.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, water and apple cider vinegar, and mix well.
- Finally, add the chickpeas, spinach and lentils, and stir it all up.
- Bring to the boil, and then turn down to a simmer for 10-15 minutes.
- When done, add 1-2 tablespoons of chopped cashews to each serving, and you’re sorted! You can serve this dish with sides like brown rice, quinoa, roasted or boiled sweet potatoes, or just a simple salad for a filling lunch!
Yum! I hope you guys enjoy this one as much as me! Tag me if you try it out – @theirishbalance on Instagram/Twitter/Facebook!
Ciara 🙂 x