Recently, I found a big bag of puffed quinoa in my cupboard that I had bought from Lidl AGES ago, and I decided to play around with it a little! Enter the idea for a different twist on those chocolate ‘Rice Krispie’ bites we all know so well from childhood birthday parties. I was delighted with how they turned out – let’s hope you guys are too!
Recipe (Makes 10 bites)
- 30g of puffed quinoa
- 2 tbsp of cacao powder
- 2 tbsp of agave sweetener (or honey or maple syrup)
- 1 tbsp melted cacao butter or coconut oil
- 7-8 cashews, roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup of dark chocolate chips (minimum 70% cacao solids)
- 10 small cupcake cases
- Melt your dark chocolate chips and cacao butter/coconut oil in two separate bowls, and set aside.
- Take a large mixing bowl and pour the puffed quinoa into it.
- Add the remaining dry ingredients – cashews and cacao powder.
- Combine the melted chocolate and cacao butter/coconut oil into one bowl, and add the sweetener. Using a small spoon, mix until combined.
- Create a little well in the centre of the dry ingredients, and pour in the wet.
- Mix until the dry ingredients are fully coated.
- Place 2 tbsp of the mixture into each cupcake case, and place the cases into a large tupperware (without the lid) or onto a tray.
- Place the cases into the freezer for 30 minutes to harden and set, and then serve!
Enjoy guys! As always, tag me if you try this recipe out – you know where to find me, @theirishbalance on Instagram/Twitter/Facebook!
Ciara 🙂 x