NOM ALERT. Recently, I was lucky enough to get to go to the Health Blogger’s Community Summit event, and I got to try a gorgeous new chocolate by a brand called Nu Cao, and I had been really keen to try a new recipe with it! So, we all know Ciara LOVES dark chocolate, and coffee. Two absolute foodie vices of mine, and I’m darn proud of it. You guys probably also know that I loooove courgette oats, weird as that may seem to many, but I can’t help it! Therefore, the ‘cheeky’ aspect of this recipe (see title!) is that it contains a sneaky little dose of greens, in the form of grated courgette! It doesn’t change the taste or texture of the bread, trust me, and it’s adding a dose of veg and fibre to your day! Don’t believe me? Try the recipe, and see for yourself!
Recipe (Makes 1 Loaf of 10-12 slices)
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp baking soda (or 2 tsp baking powder)
- 2 tbsp melted cacao butter or coconut oil
- 1 tbsp ground coffee
- 3 tbsp cacao powder
- 4 tbsp agave (or honey/maple syrup)
- 1 medium courgette, grated
- 200g of oats, blended into flour
- 2 eggs
- 100ml of milk (I use Alpro Plant Milks)
- 1/4 cup of dark chocolate chips (go 70% or higher people!)
- Pre-heat the oven to 200C (fan oven). Grease a bread baking tin with a little olive oil, and then line it with greaseproof paper.
- Take a large mixing bowl, and add your dry ingredients to it – the oat flour, cinnamon, baking soda and cacao powder.
- Using a smaller bowl, crack the eggs and whisk, and then add the rest of your wet ingredients – milk, sweetener, oil/butter and grated courgette.
- Create a small well in your dry ingredients and pour the wet mixture into it.
- Stir the bread batter until all the dry ingredients are coated.
- Finally, fold the chocolate chips in.
- Pour the mix into your baking tin, and bake in the oven for 45-50 minutes. Check with a toothpick at 45 and if it comes out 95% clean, you’re sorted!
- Leave to cool for 30 minutes before slicing and serving!
Enjoy guys! Chocolate bread – what could be a better combination? Tag me if you try this one out – @theirishbalance on Instagram/Twitter/Facebook!
Ciara 🙂 x