Okay, I might have an obsession with making bean-based protein bars. But hey, you guys have loved all of my creations to date, so here we go with a new one! I recently ran out of my Chickpea Power Bars, so I figured why not get a little inventive again! In this recipe, I’ve used mixed beans and beetroot for a plant protein and fibre packed bar that’s colourful and quick to whip up. I’ve been experimenting recently with Pulsin Pea Protein in baking and shakes, and so far it’s been great! Feel free to substitute with your own protein powders here – or if you don’t use any, you could omit this ingredient and add more flour. I’ve also used a favourite flour of mine – chickpea, or gram flour! I buy mine in Nourish Health Store in Dublin (my go to place really!), and I’ve been so excited to try recipes with it this year after trying socca (a chickpea flour pancake) in Nice in December! You could definitely sub with an alternative flour if you don’t have gram flour – but you’ll need to play around with quantities of milk. Give it a try if you can find gram flour local to you, its fantastic to bake with – light and flavoursome!
Recipe (Makes 10 bars)
- 1 tsp ground coffee (optional – I liked it for a flavour kick!)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tbsp melted coconut oil or MCT oil (I used Cocobrew MCT oil)
- 2 tbsp sweetener (I use agave, but other options would be honey or maple)
- 3 tbsp pea protein (I used Pulsin Pea Protein, but you could sub other powders!)
- 4 tbsp chickpea flour (gram flour)
- 400g of mixed beans (mine had chickpeas, kidney and cannellini beans!)
- 100ml of milk of choice (I use Alpro Coconut or Almond Milk) +/- extra 50ml (keep it to hand in case you need to add for better batter consistency!)
- 50g of mixed seeds
- 1/3 cup of sliced cooked beetroot
- Pre-heat your oven to 200C (fan oven). Line a baking tin with greaseproof paper.
- Blend your wet ingredients using a Nutribullet or food processor – the milk, beetroot, beans, sweetener and oil.
- Take a large mixing bowl and add the dry ingredients – chickpea flour, pea protein, cinnamon, baking powder, coffee and seeds. Mix well.
- Create a well in the centre of your dry ingredients, and pour in the wet.
- Grab a large spoon, and mix it all up until you have a batter consistency. If it’s a little dry, just add splashes of milk until you’re happy!
- Scoop the batter into your baking tin, and smooth it down evenly.
- Place the tin in the oven, and bake for 30 minutes.
- Leave to cool for 20-30 minutes, then slice them up and enjoy!
I hope you like these gang – I’m always on the hunt for a new plant-based snack, and if you’ve been following me a while, you’ll know I love using beans like chickpeas, black beans and kidney beans in my recipes. All that plant based protein goodness, plus fibre too! Tag me if you try these out – @theirishbalance on Instagram/Twitter/Facebook!
Ciara 🙂 x