Cookies for breakfast? Yes please! This latest recipe on my blog is one of my favourite types of creations – delicious, quick to make, suitable to batch bake, and really easy to grab on the go for busy weekday mornings – a formula I love! Recently, I had a bit of a Baked Oats obsession, which was followed by an Overnight Oats obsession… so with the summer finally here to stay I decided to change things up a little. However, I’ve stuck to a key ingredient of oats in this recipe, because I just think oats are the bee’s knees at breakfast time – full of fantastic complex carbohydrates and fibre to keep us fuller for longer, they’re a solid choice for any morning, and I find them just so versatile as a foodie as well as as a person who trains most mornings (so I need a decent breakfast to refuel!)
You can easily bake a batch of these cookies at the weekend, and store in a tupperware for the week or freeze them to save for longer too! Let’s get the oven on gang!
Recipe (Makes 12 Cookies)
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tbsp cacao powder
- 1 tbsp of honey
- 2 tbsp of whole chia seeds
- 200g of quick-cook oats (I use Flahavan’s)
- 3 medium sized ripe bananas
- 100g of blueberries
- Pre-heat the oven to 200C (fan oven). Line a baking tray with grease-proof paper (if you don’t have any, just line it with tinfoil and grease the tinfoil with a little olive oil!)
- Add the dry ingredients to a mixing bowl – oats, cacao, cinnamon, ginger and chia seeds – and stir until combined.
- Mash up your bananas until almost liquid in consistency.
- Add the banana mash to the bowl, and mix until all the dry ingredients are coated.
- Add the honey, and stir again.
- Finally, add the blueberries, and fold them into the cookie mix.
- Scoop out fist size balls of cookie batter using a spoon, and place each onto the baking tray. Flatten the ball out a little so it makes a rounder cookie shape to bake!
- Bake in the oven for 30 minutes, then leave to cool for 30 minutes (have patience!)
- Flick the kettle on, and tuck in with a cuppa joe!
Enjoy guys! I love this recipe – such a simple little creation, breakfast you can make in a flash and grab on the go! Tag me if you try these out – @theirishbalance on Instagram/Twitter/Facebook!
Ciara 🙂 x