Chicken fajitas are a crowd favourite in my house, often the Friday feed of choice that we sit down together to have after a busy week! So recently, when it was my turn to cook, I decided to turn a classic on its head a little and make use of a boatload of sweet potatoes we had stocked in the fridge. The result? A Chicken Fajita-loaded sweet potato! It tied in very nicely with my homemade guacamole recipe – and as I had saved the recipe for you guys in my Instagram Story Highlights it made it VERY easy to bring it to the blog! It’s a super simple dish that is pretty quick to make, fuss-free and really tasty – key factors to a family dinner in my book!
Recipe (Serves 5)
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tsp medium chili powder
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 white or red onion
- 2 bell peppers (aim for different colours)
- 5 chicken breasts
- 1 Lime
- 3-4 large sweet potatoes or 4-5 medium size
- Optional for serving: Guacamole, Soured Cream/Yoghurt, Salsa, Sliced Lettuce
- Pre-heat the oven to 200C (fan oven), and line a baking tray with tinfoil greased with a little olive oil.
- Wash the sweet potatoes and slice them into halves – you could also chop them into wedges if you like!
- Drizzle the sweet potatoes with a little olive oil and stir to ensure they are coated. Place them onto the baking tray, and roast in the oven for 30-40 minutes . The time it takes to roast them will depend on the size of the halves or wedges you slice! Make sure to check them after about 15-20 minutes to turn them.
- Prep your chicken first – slice the chicken breasts into strips, and then add these to a bowl. Add 1 tbsp olive oil, the spices, and the juice of half the lime, and stir it all up. Then leave the chicken marinating while you chop your veggies.
- Peel and slice the onion into length strips, then de-core the peppers, and slice those into strips.
- Peel the garlic clove, and finely dice it.
- Take a large frying pan, and add 1 tbsp olive oil, and set the pan on a medium heat.
- Add the onions and garlic, and cook for 5 minutes until the onions are translucent.
- Add the chicken, and cook until the chicken is done all the way through (about 10-15 minutes).
- Add the peppers, and a dash or two more of each of your spices, and cook for another 5-7 minutes until the peppers are softened. Season the fajita mix with a twist of black pepper and a pinch of sea salt.
- Hey presto! You’re done! Once your sweet potatoes are ready, add a serving to each plate, and scoop that spicy fajita mix goodness on top!
- Finish the dish with any of the additions I’ve suggested above – guacamole, soured cream/yoghurt and/or salsa, and lettuce!
Enjoy guys! I hope you love this dinner dish as much as me – it’ll impress your family and friends big time, it’s a real hungry crowd style dish! Tag me if you try it out – @theirishbalance on Instagram/Twitter/Facebook!
Ciara 🙂 x