I get asked a LOT about my favourite protein powders – in particular, the vegan ones I like the most. I’ve posted about it and messaged people replies, but generally speaking, my favourite vegan blends so far (for shakes/smoothies/oats) are Form, Nutristrength (used in this recipe), Pulsin, and Nuzest. I really like using That Protein in baking too! One I’ve been meaning to try is Awesome Supplements, and I plan to soon!
So this week, I was feeling something a bit different for a summery ‘grab and go’ breakfast option. I’ve made Overnight Chia Oats many a time, but for some reason, this week I just felt like a bit of a texture challenge – so I decided to try creating a protein chia pudding! With all the baking I do in recipe testing, I end up with a LOT of frozen goodness in my freezer – banana bread slices, breakfast oat muffins, etc. So I decided this week I would get using those leftovers at breakfast time, and pair a slice of banana bread with a protein chia pudding! Of course, it’s important to say here that this recipe is not a ‘you should be using protein powder’ type of post. I do use it in the mornings because breakfast is usually my post-workout meal, I pretty much always have to take it on the go with me, and so I can’t cook up eggs or a protein alternative before work instead. Using a protein powder is handy for me, and I’ve been loving using vegan blends for the most part since last year. This recipe isn’t sponsored or brand-related – just me trying out a new thing with Nutri-Strength after stocking up this week! The texture I managed was an absolute WIN – and you can customise the flavour and toppings to your liking!
Recipe (Makes 1 Serving)
- 1 scoop of protein powder of choice
- 2 tbsp of whole chia seeds
- 150ml Milk of choice
- 50ml water
- Optional: 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon, or cacao powder, or both!
- Topping Ideas: Berries, Nuts, Seeds, Nut Butter!
- This could not be easier guys. Grab a small tupperware cup or container, or a small mason jar – I use rinsed empty nut butter jars!
- Add the protein powder, followed by the chia seeds, and any spices you’re adding.
- Add the liquid, and then get stirring – mix it all up with a spoon until the powder is dissolved and seeds well mixed in.
- Pop the lid on the tupperware/jar, store overnight in the fridge, and in the morning add your toppings (plus a splash extra liquid if you want) and tuck in!
A super simple, plant-powered choice guys! Tag me if you try it out – @theirishbalance on Instagram/Twitter/Facebook!