Oh holy moly. I feel like this recipe should come with a (jokey) warning – you WILL want to eat your way through the entire tray. In fact, it will take ALL of your willpower not to. Recently, on Instagram stories, I got a request to make a ‘Healthy Millionaire Squares’ recipe – and you know what I’m like with a challenge…! So, I decided to try my hand at it. As I’m a self-confessed tahini addict (by the spoon people, no joke) I knew I had to get the tahini in there too – and so, my Tahini Caramel Squares were born! They are decadent, delicious (addictively so), and made with pretty simple ingredients. Yes, they take a bit more time than my usual ‘one pot wonder’ style recipes, but trust me – WORTH IT.
Recipe (Makes 16 Squares)
For The Base
- 100g of oats
- 50g of raw cashews
- 2 tbsp melted coconut oil or cacao butter
- 3 tbsp of agave sweetener (or you could use honey/maple syrup)
For The Caramel Filling
- 225g of Pitted Dates
- 80ml Almond Milk
- 4 tbsp tahini
- 1 tbsp agave sweeteener (or alternative as above)
For The Topping
- 100g of good quality dark chocolate (70% cacao solids minimum)
- 1 tsp cacao powder
- 1 tbsp agave sweeteneer (or alternative as above)
- First, we’re gonna make the base. Blitz the oats in your food processor into a flour, and tip that into a large mixing bowl. Next, blitz the cashews until mostly ground into a fine flour of sorts, and add that to the oat flour.
- Add the coconut oil/cacao butter and sweetener to the oats and cashew mix, and stir it through with a spoon until the dry ingredients are coated.
- Take a square (ideally, but if not don’t worry!) baking tin (about 1 inch deep) and line it with grease-proof paper.
- Spread the base mix into the tray, and press it firmly and evenly down. Pop the tin into the freezer to set (about 30 minutes).
- Next, time to make your caramel! Boil the kettle. Add your dates to a small bowl, and cover them in the boiled hot water to soak them for 15 minutes.
- Drain the dates, and add them to the blender or food processor. Add the milk, tahini and sweetener, and blitz until smooth.
- Remove the baking tin from the freezer and scoop the tahini caramel out on top, spreading it out so it evenly coats the base.
- Place the tin back into the freezer to set for an hour.
- Finally, towards the end of the hour, make the chocolate topping! Break the chocolate into smaller chunks, place in a bowl, and melt it using the microwave (easiest to do this in 30 second blasts until it’s done). Add the cacao powder and sweetener, and stir to mix in.
- Remove the baking tin from the freezer, and pour the chocolate evenly on top of the caramel, spreading quickly as you pour – it sets fast as the caramel will be cold!
- Finally, put the tin back in the freezer for another 30 minutes to fully set.
- When you’re ready to go, remove the tin, slice up the squares, and serve! They will transport to an extent, but the caramel softens the longer they’re out of the fridge, so use a cooler bag or store in the fridge or ideally freezer if you’re bringing them to a party , family/friends or work!
Enjoy gang! These are such a treat, and it’s awesome to have created such a party trick recipe you can impress everyone with! Tag me if you try the recipe out –@theirishbalance on Instagram/Twitter/Facebook.
Ciara 🙂 x