Oh yes. This is not a drill people. Finally, FINALLY, we have FALAFEL on the blog! As part of fantastic ‘Plant Slant’ series my gal Cliona (@fuelingthefitlife and creator of the Wellbeings blog) and I are collaborating on for you, today we bring the SECOND and SAVOURY chickpea-inspired recipe of our chickpea combo! You’ll remember earlier this month we shared my Chocolate Chip Chickpea Blondies. So this falafel recipe was one Cliona and I felt was a no-brainer as a savoury chickpea choice – and Cliona came up with this beauty for us! You’ll find the recipe on her blog right here, and I’ve included it in full as a guest post on mine below!
I absolutely LOVE falafel – in fact, I might have a very slight little obsession with it. Falafel can be a bit of a faff to make, but this recipe is simple, created from easy-to-find ingredients, and even better, is a ‘baked’ falafel option, meaning you can meal prep these bad boys to your hearts content!
Recipe (Makes 7 Falafels)
- 1 can (15oz/425g) chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 small onion, chopped
- 2 cloves fresh garlic (sub 1 tsp garlic powder in a pinch!)
- 1 tbsp mixed herbs
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 1/2 tsp Himalayan sea salt (regular sea salt is fine too, I just prefer the pink!)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 3 tbsp oat flour (or 4 tbsp rolled oats)
- Add everything except the oat flour to a blender or food processor and pulse until the mixture has combines but is not completely pulsed into a hummus consistency; you want some texture to remain! If using rolled oats instead of oat flour add them in at this stage too.
- Once you have the desired consistency, stir in the oat flour (if using).
- Roll into patties or balls, whatever you like! I used two heaped tablespoons to make little patties and got 7 from this recipe.
- Place on a lined or greased baking tray and bake in a preheated oven at 350F/175C for about 22-25 minutes. Flip the falafels halfway through so that each side is nicely browned.
- Serve over a salad for a light summer option as I’ve done here, serve in pita, or bring them on the go for a quick snack!
Ciara 🙂 x