My obsession with chickpeas is something I openly endorse and am actually VERY proud of. Chickpeas are possibly (probably?) my favourite ingredient to create recipes with. They are absolute nutritional powerhouses – packed full of plant protein, fibre (which most of us don’t get enough of by the way!), and some key vitamins and minerals too. I have made MANY recipes with them, and this salad is the follow-up savoury creation as part of my recipe collaboration series with my friend and trainee dietitian Cliona (@fuelingthefitlife). Our sweet choice was these Chocolate Chip Chickpea Blondies, which I hope you loved as much as we did!
So this salad is a celebration of it’s key ingredient (chickpeas!) as well as summer itself. My family and I love getting the barbeque out for those sunny long evenings, and it’s made me want to up my salad game big time! This recipe is also perfect for a ‘meal prep’ style dish you can make ahead for work lunches. The tahini in the dressing was an obvious choice for me – another foodie obsession of mine! This is a bit of a ‘Buddha Bowl’ style salad, one of my favourite ways to combine delicious ingredients for a tasty quick meal!
Recipe (Serves 4)
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon (for the chickpeas)
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin (for the chickpeas)
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon (for the sweet potato)
- Juice of 1/2 a lemon
- 3 tbsp tahini
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 red onion
- 1 green bell pepper
- 1 400g tin of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 medium sweet potato
- 1 bag of Kale, stems removed and leaves washed
- Pre-heat the oven to 200C (fan oven), and line two baking trays with tinfoil. Grease the tinfoil with a little bit of the olive oil.
- Place the chickpeas into a small bowl, and add 1 tbsp olive oil, the cinnamon and cumin as above. Mix until the chickpeas are coated, then tip them onto one of the trays.
- Chop and de-seed the pepper, then peel and chop the red onion, and add those to the first tray too.
- Wash and slice up the sweet potato into 1-2 inch chunks, and place these into a separate bowl. Add 1 tbsp olive oil and the 1 tsp of cinnamon, and stir until the chunks are coated, then add those to the second baking tray.
- When the oven is ready, place both trays into it, and then it’s time to multi-task! You’re gonna roast your sweet potato for 25 minutes, and the chickpeas/pepper/red onion for 15, turning halfway.
- Add the kale leaves to a large bowl (this will be your big salad bowl), and set aside.
- Dressing time! Combine the tahini, lemon juice and 1 tbsp olive oil in a small bowl.
- Remove both trays from the oven when done, and leave to cool for a few minutes.
- Add to the kale – chickpeas, peppers and red onion, and finally, the sweet potato.
- Using salad tongs, toss the ingredients.
- Finally, pour the dressing on top, toss once more and you’re done!
Enjoy guys! This is possibly my favourite salad recipe on my blog to date – so I hope you love it just as much! Tag me if you try it out – @theirishbalance on Instagram/Twitter/Facebook!
Ciara 🙂 x