This trail mix recipe is just a beauty – super simple, SO quick to make, and tastes absolutely like more everytime. Nuts (all kinds!) are absolute powerhouses of nutritional benefits – packed full of heart healthy mono- and poly-unsaturated fats, fibre and protein, as well as vital vitamins and minerals. For example, almonds are a good source of Vitamin E (good for our skin), while walnuts are a key source of our plant omega-3 (alpha linoleic acid for the nerds out there!), and Brazil nuts give us a solid dose of selenium, important for thyroid function. The beauty of making your own trail mix is that you can find a flavour and combination YOU love – everyone has a favourite nut right? Mine is probably cashew but it’s a toughie!
Recipe (Makes 1 batch)
- ¼ tsp mild chili powder
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 200g mixed unsalted nuts
- Pre-heat the oven to 175C (fan oven).
- Add the nuts to a bowl, drizzle the olive oil on top, and stir to coat the nuts in it.
- Add the spices – cinnamon, chili powder and paprika, and stir again to coat the nuts.
- Add the honey, and stir again to mix it in.
- Pop the nuts onto a baking tray, and roast for 10 minutes until golden brown, stirring halfway.
- Allow to cool before storing in a tupper-ware or bowl.
Enjoy guys! Tag me @theirishbalance and @healthyucd if you try this recipe out!
Ciara 🙂 x