One to warm the heart on a chilly day – who doesn’t love a big bowl of comforting soup! My lovely friend, registered dietitian and ‘twinnie’ Catherine Downey (@the.sporty.dietitian on Instagram) has given me this lovely recipe to share with you all, and I think it’s perfect timing with the coming Autumn months! This recipe is packed full of plant-based goodness, with complex carbohydrates in the squash, as well as plant protein and fibre from the lentils. There’s a little spicy kick too from the cumin and smoked paprika – you’re gonna love it! It’s a great ‘meal prep’ recipe as well as a simple lunch or dinner you can make ahead for your family and friends.
Recipe (Serves 4)
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil (or oil of choice)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 250g red lentils, rinsed
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp caynenne pepper
- 1 medium butternut squash, peeled, deseeded and roughly chopped (250g)
- 5 litres reduced salt vegetable stock
- Optional Extras For Serving: Greek-style yogurt, sesame seeds, sunflower seeds, diced red chili, chopped fresh coriander
- Heat the oil in a pan over a low to medium heat. Add the onion and sauté for 3-4 minutes until it softens and begins to become translucent.
- Add the garlic, spices, carrots, lentils, butternut squash and stock, plus enough water to cover the ingredients. Bring to the boil then turn down and simmer for 20-25 minutes.
- Check that the vegetables are tender and lentils are cooked through before removing from the heat.
- Blend using a food processor or hand blender, and serve with a spoonful of Greek-style yogurt and a sprinkling of sesame and sunflower seeds, chopped red chilli and fresh coriander.
Enjoy guys – be sure to tag us if you try this out – I’m @theirishbalance on Instagram/Twitter/Facebook, and I’ve linked to Catherine’s Instagram above!
Ciara 🙂 x
One thought on “Guest Recipe: Spiced Red Lentil & Butternut Squash Soup”