Ladies and gents, I have finally done it. I have created my own version of a classic – the humble (and highly notional) energy ball. This recipe exploded all over the health and wellness scene a couple of years ago now, and initially I definitely shied away from working on my own for the blog – purely as there were just SO many versions out there, and nothing really felt original. But recently, having picked up some dates for my Tahini Caramel Squares recipe, I figured ‘waste not, want not’, and what better use of dates than an energy ball? I was also inspired by the gorgeous Near To Nature Turmeric Bar I tried at Wellfest – I loved the sweetness of their bar combined with the little hint of turmeric, and wanted to create a similar vibe at home! A gingerbread-style energy ball is another variation I would love to try – but for now, I’ve gone for a turmeric and cacao blend, and a coconut espresso combo!
Recipe (Makes 16 Energy Balls)
- 200g of pitted dates
- 100g of raw cashews
- 1 tbsp cacao powder
- 1 tbsp agave sweetener (or honey)
- 2 tbsp of tahini (you could sub nut butter either!)
- 30ml of water
- 2 tbsp Hemp Protein Powder (I used Linwoods Hemp Protein Powder but you could try oat flour instead!)
- For the Turmeric Flavour: 1 tsp ground turmeric
- For the Coco-Espresso Flavour: 1 tsp ground coffee + 1 tbsp dessicated coconut
- Add the dates, cacao, sweetener, cashews, tahini and water to a blender cup or food processor, give it a shake, and then blend. I used my Nutribullet, but it does stick a bit, so you have to blend, then unscrew the cap and stir around the mixture, then blend again!
- Blend until the dates and cashews are 90% combined. It’s fine to have very small little cashew chunks in the mix – or you can blend further if you like.
- Spoon the mixture out into a bowl, add 2 tbsp of the hemp protein or oat flour, and mix it in.
- Depending on which flavour you want to make, add the appropriate additional ingredients to the bowl, and stir in. If you want to do a batch of both, just transfer half the mixture to a separate bowl and go for it!
- Take a plate, and add a spoonful of the hemp protein or flour onto it – this is to reduce the stickiness of the balls when you roll them. If you’re doing the coconut flavour, just spoon out some dessicated coconut onto the plate instead.
- Scoop a ball size lump of the mixture out of the bowl and roll it in the protein/flour/coconut on the plate until coated, and then roll the ball between your palms to create a more circular shape.
- Repeat this for each energy ball, and transfer each one onto a tray or tupperware lined with greaseproof paper.
- When you’re ready, transfer the balls to the freezer, and leave them for a couple of hours or overnight to harden.
- When you need to take them on the go, wrap one or more up and you’re snack sorted for the day!
Enjoy guys! I really hope these perk you up as much as they did me – they are a bit messy to create but a lovely little wholefood snack packed full of goodness to fuel you on the go! Tag me if you try them out – @theirishbalance on Instagram/Twitter/Facebook!