Time for ingredient number TWO in the Plant Slant series guys, brought to you by myself and my gal pal and trainee dietitian Cliodhna (@fuelingthefitlife on Instagram), and this month we’re talking about EGGS! While not technically a ‘plant-based’ food, eggs are an absolute favourite of ours, a regular feature in our week, and importantly, can be part of so many plant focused meals! We’re bringing you TWO recipes using eggs, as we did with our July Chickpea focus (Chocolate Chip Chickpea Blondies and Baked Falafel) – sweet and savoury! This recipe is our ‘sweet’ option, and our ‘savoury’ option will follow later this week (stay tuned, you’ll love it!) Eggs are such a nutrient dense food, as a source of complete protein (i.e. containing all 9 essential amino acids we cannot make ourselves and must get from our diet), as well as important vitamins (e.g. B2, B6, B12, D, A, E and K) and minerals.
Egg white oats are a protein-packed, texture-happy twist on the classic bowl of porridge. It gives the bowl of oats a unique, almost ‘cake-like- texture, as well as giving you a protein punch to your bowl from the egg whites. Sweeten and sass your bowl up with toppings like fresh berries, a drizzle of honey, and nuts or nut butter!
Recipe (Serves 1)
- 40g oats
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- 1 tbsp flaxseed
- 110ml milk
- 110ml water
- 2 tbsp liquid egg whites or 1 egg white
- Combine everything except the egg whites and microwave for 1.5 – 2 minutes.
- Give everything a stir and then add your egg whites.
- A little tip is to whip the egg whites in using a fork but the main goal is to ensure they’re mixed in well.
- Pop the bowl back into the microwave for 40 seconds to 1 minute more.
- Stir again and then get fancy with toppings – berries, nuts, seeds, nut butter, whatever you’re feeling!
Ciara 🙂 x