So gang, September is coming. We all know what that means – back to school, back to college, and a change in season towards Autumn and Winter! I’ve been feeling inspired by these vibes to mix up my recipe treasure trove of ideas – and a black bean burger has been on my list for AGES! As has a lentil burger, so stay tuned for that, because it’s coming! First up though, we have a vegetarian and vegan friendly burger here made using plant protein packed black beans and one of my favourite root vegetables, sweet potato! The lime juice and key spices in this recipe give a real Mexican vibe to the flavour, and I hope you love them as much as me!
Recipe (Makes 10-12 burgers, depending on size patties you want)
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and minced
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 3 tbsp oats, ground into flour
- Juice of 1 Lime
- 1 400g of black beans, drained and rinse
- 250g of cooked sweet potato (either boiled or roasted flesh is perfect)
- Seasoning: Pinch of sea salt & black pepper
- Pre-heat the oven to 200C (fan oven). Line a baking tray with tinfoil greased with a little olive oil.
- Cook the sweet potato however you want to – I like to roast it and then the skin comes off very easily, leaving very mash-able flesh inside!
- Pop the black beans into a blender with the garlic, lime juice and spices. Blend until they are a consistency that’s similar to a coarse hummus.
- Pour this mix into a large bowl, and then add the sweet potato. Mash the sweet potato in using a fork.
- Add the oat flour one tablespoon at a time, mixing it in well.
- When the oven is ready, form the burger mixture into small patties about the size of the palm of your hand or just a bit smaller, and pop them onto the baking tray. You will find it a little bit messy forming them, but just get into it!
- Bake the burgers for 30-35 minutes, then leave to cool.
- Serve as you wish or save for lunches if you’re meal prepping! I love having these as a Mexican style dinner or lunch with spicy brown rice, avocado, and tomatoes!
Enjoy gang! Tag me if you try these out – @theirishbalance on Instagram/Twitter/Facebook!
Ciara 🙂 x