AUTUMN! Don’t you just love it? I definitely do – I’m gonna say it, Autumn and especially Winter are my favourite seasons. Yes, it’s colder, yes, it rains more, but the colours, the foods, CHRISTMAS, the warm fuzzy feelings and cosy evenings – YES. I’ve always loved this time of year. Since starting my blog, I’ve become especially aware of the gorgeous seasonal foods in Autumn and Winter, and I think we can all agree this time of year is when SOUP is always welcome. As it’s HALLOWEEN today (the day you’ll read this as this recipe goes live!) I want to say HAPPY HALLOWEEN! Have a wonderful day and evening, whether you’re trick or treating! Today, my gal pal Cliona @fuelingthefitlife and I are bringing you a really gorgeous spiced sweet potato soup! Of course, with pumpkins everywhere this time of year, you can of course swap out the sweet potato for your pumpkin flesh leftovers from carving! Cliona created this delicious recipe as part of our Plant Slant series – we shared my Sweet Potato Toasts recipe last week, so this is the savoury choice!
Recipe (Makes 1 Big Pot of Delicious Soup!)
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1/3 cup peanut butter
- 6 cups vegetable stock
- 2 tbsp medium curry powder
- 1 tbsp fresh ginger (or 1/4 tsp ground)
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 300g white onion, peeled and diced
- 200g carrots, peeled and diced
- 600g sweet potato, peeled and diced
- Saute the onion, garlic and ginger in the coconut oil for about 5 minutes, until the onion is translucent.
- Add the curry powder, peanut butter, and 2 cups of the vegetable stock and stir well until combined.
- Add the sweet potato, carrots and the rest of the stock and bring to the boil.
- Reduce the heat to a simmer and let the soup cook for 20-25 minutes until the sweet potatoes and carrots have softened.
- Carefully add the soup to a blender (or use a hand blender) and pulse until the desired consistency is reached.
- Season with sea salt and black pepper and serve with a slice of your favourite bread, or add some mixed beans for a boost of protein!
Ciara 🙂 x