Homemade JAM! FINALLY! I am really excited to share this one with you guys – I’ve been on a ‘berry buzz’ over the last few weeks as Autumn has turned into Winter. Recently, with a big pack of strawberries and blueberries in my fridge, and a desire to make a new recipe using chia seeds, I figured I would try my hand at chia berry jam! Success!
Note: Makes 1 small jar of jam – But you can double the ingredients to double the volume.
- 1 heaped tbsp honey
- 2 tbsp chia seeds
- 3 tbsp water
- 100g strawberries
- 100g blueberries
- Wash, and de-leaf the strawberries, and wash the blueberries. Slice the strawberries in half, and pop all the berries into a small pot with the water.
- Set the pot to medium heat until the water starts boiling, and the turn the heat down slightly. Allow to simmer until the berries melt down.
- When the berries are softened (takes 5-7 minutes), turn off the heat for a moment. Use an oven glove or tea towel (be careful!) to hold the handle on the pot, and mash the berries to fully soften.
- Put the heat back on to simmer, and add the chia seeds and honey. Stir to combine.
- Allow the jam to thicken up for about 4-5 minutes, and add a splash extra water if it needs it!
- Turn the heat off, and allow the jam to cool in the pot and thicken up 10-15 minutes (cover it during this time).
- Scoop the jam out into a jar, and tuck in whatever way you like! I’ve been putting my jam on my overnight oats, porridge and toast too!
Enjoy guys! Tag me if you try this recipe out – @theirishbalance on Instagram/Twitter/Facebook!
Ciara 🙂 x