This Mexican-spiced stew is a tasty and comforting one-pot wonder, packed full of colour with peppers and tomatoes, plus a punchy protein kick from the chicken and kidney beans! It’s a speedy one to make too, so a great call for those mid-week meals! Let’s get cooking!
Recipe (Serves 6)
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and minced
- 1 red onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 bell peppers, de-seeded/core removed and diced into small pieces
- 6 chicken breasts, diced into bite size pieces
- 200g of red kidney beans
- 1 small tin of sweet corn
- 2 x 400g tins of chopped tomatoes
- 200ml of water
- Homemade Chipotle: 2 tbsp tomato puree, 1/2 tsp dried oregano, 1 tsp smoked paprika, 1 tsp ground cumin, 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar, 1/2 tsp mild chili powder, 1/2 tsp ground coriander, 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- Brown rice, to serve (you could also serve it with quinoa!)
- Prepare your homemade chipotle sauce first, and then set aside.
- Prepare your veggies and set aside in two small bowls (garlic and onions in one, and peppers in the other).
- Heat the olive oil in a saucepan on medium heat, then add the onions, garlic and peppers, and cook for about 5 minutes to sweat the onions a little.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, chipotle and water, and stir to mix in.
- Add the kidney beans and sweetcorn, then season with a twist of black pepper and stir again.
- Finally, add the chicken breast and stir to mix the stew. Add a little extra water if it needs!
- Bring to the boil, then stir again and turn down the heat to the lowest setting, and simmer for 25-30 minutes. The chicken breast pieces will cook in the sauce during this time. Stir every few minutes while the stew is simmering.
- If you’re serving rice or an alternative grain with your stew, pop a pot of water on to boil and cook your side dish while the stew simmers!
- At 30 minutes, check a piece of chicken to ensure it’s fully cooked (remove from the stew and just slice into the centre so you can see it’s ready to eat i.e. not pink!).
- Serve with your side of choice, and tuck in!
Enjoy guys! I hope you like the recipe – tag me if you try it out, @theirishbalance on Instagram/Twitter/Facebook!
Ciara 🙂 x