As many of you will know already, chickpeas are in my top 3 favourite ingredients. EVER. So this latest creation is a super simple but super tasty vegetarian curry with chickpeas playing the leading role! It provides you with lots of servings of veggies and takes very little time to whip together, ideal for a mid-week meal!
Recipe (Serves 5)
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 red onion
- 1 tbsp mild curry powder
- 1 tsp each of ground cumin, turmeric and coriander
- 1/2 tsp of ground cinnamon, mild chili powder + ground ginger
- 3 medium carrots, peeled
- 1 bell pepper
- 1 medium courgette
- 1 cup of broccoli florets
- 1 400g can of chickpeas
- 1 400ml tin of chopped tomatoes
- 1 400ml tin of light or full fat coconut milk
- 200ml of water
- To Serve: 5 Servings of Brown Basmati Rice + Fresh handfuls of spinach (or roasted sweet potato is a great alternative too, I use that when I’m having this for lunch!)
- Prepare your vegetables and garlic first by washing the veg and dicing it all up. Set aside the veggies (except the onion and garlic) in a bowl for now.
- Heat the olive oil in a pot on a medium heat, and then tip in the garlic and red onion. Cook for 3-4 minutes until the onions are translucent.
- Combine the spices in a small bowl, and then tip them into the pot. Cook for another 3-4 minutes so the onions are coated in spices.
- Add the carrots, courgette, broccoli and peppers, and cook for another couple of minutes.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, coconut milk, water and chickpeas, and stir.
- Season with a pinch of sea salt and a twist of black pepper.
- Bring the curry to the boil, then turn the heat down to the lowest setting, and simmer for 20-25 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Hey presto – your curry is ready! Serve with a side of brown basmati rice, or some fresh greens like spinach for a lighter meal.
Enjoy guys! Tag me if you try this one out – @theirishbalance on Instagram/Twitter/Facebook!
Ciara 🙂 x