This spring salad recipe is super quick and easy to make, and very tasty too! I highly recommend pairing it with my creamy cashew dressing for a super lunch you can pack up and bring on the go wherever!
Recipe (Serves 6 as a lunch dish)
- 1 400g tin of butter beans
- 300g of pearl barley/spelt
- Water to cook the barley in (go with what your package instructions say, I use a Super Valu brand!)
- 2 cups of broccoli florets
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon, coriander and dried thyme
- A twist of black pepper, to season
- Cook the pearl barley according to package instructions (you could use spelt here too if you can’t find pearl barley, they look pretty similar! Or substitute quinoa or brown rice if you can only find those!)
- Set the cooked barley aside in a large mixing bowl. Add the cinnamon, coriander and dried thyme, and mix the spices and herb in.
- Wash and dice up your veggies. Boil the kettle, and place the broccoli florets into a bowl. Cover with the boiled water and leave the broccoli to soften for 5 minutes.
- Drain and rinse the butter beans, and add these to the barley along with the red pepper pieces.
- Drain the broccoli and add the florets to your salad.
- Season, mix everything up and you’re good to go!
Enjoy guys! I hope you love this salad and the creamy cashew dressing as much as I did! Tag me if you try it out – @theirishbalance on Instagram/Twitter/Facebook!
Ciara 🙂 x