I. Love. Chickpeas. In case you didn’t know, chickpeas are one of my all-time favourite ingredients! You can use them for almost any recipe – hummus, curries, dahls, roasted as a crunchy snack, chickpea bars (check out my Chickpea Blondies recipe here!) – you name it, I’ve probably tried it! But a Chickpea SOUP was one I had yet to tick off my list – until now! This recipe is super quick to make and is a comforting bowl of warm spicy goodness. I can’t wait for you guys to try it!
Recipe (Serves 3-4 as a lunch/starter or light dinner)
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and finely diced
- 1.5 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1.5 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp dried coriander leaf
- 1/4 tsp mild chili powder
- 1 red onion, peeled and diced
- 1 x 400g tin of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 x 400g tin of chopped tomatoes
- 1 red bell pepper, core and seeds removed and diced into small pieces
- Juice of 1/2 Lemon
- 1 tbsp honey
- 300ml vegetable stock
- Optional: 2 tbsp tahini (but I highly recommend adding it!)
- Seasoning: A pinch of sea salt and a twist of black pepper
- Dice up your onion, garlic and red pepper, and set aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a pot on a medium heat, and then add the onions, garlic, cumin seeds and red pepper. Sweat the onions and cook for 3-4 minutes until the onions are translucent.
- Add the remaining spices and lemon juice, and cook for another 4-5 minutes.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, chickpeas, honey, tahini and stock, and stir everything up.
- Bring to the boil, and then turn down the heat and simmer the soup for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- When the ten minutes are up, you’re good to go! Tuck in!
Enjoy guys! Tag me if you try this one out – @theirishbalance on Instagram/Twitter/Facebook!
Ciara 🙂 x
2 thoughts on “Moroccan Spiced Chickpea Soup”
LikeLiked by 1 person