This is one of my favouite family recipes, and probably the best one my lovely Mom taught me how to make. Spaghetti Bolognaise is a classic recipe, and there are MANY different versions out there. But I love our Kelly family style, so I decided as we move towards colder weather and needing comforting hot dinners for Autumn and Winter, that I would bring it into your life to try too!
Recipe (Serves 6)
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and finely diced
- 1 white onion, peeled and finely diced
- 2 medium sized carrots, peeled and sliced into small coins, then halved
- 2 x 400g tins of chopped tomatoes
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- 500g lean beef mince
- 300ml of beef stock (using a stock cube) or water
- Optional: Feel free to add more veggies by adding some chopped celery or mushrooms – I often do!
- Seasoning: A twist of black pepper & a pinch of sea salt
- Serve: With spaghetti (or alternative pasta) of choice (we use wholemeal/brown pasta in my house)
- Prepare your veggies first by dicing up the onion and carrots, and set aside.
- Heat 1 tbsp of extra virgin olive oil in a big pot, and then add the onions and garlic, cooking for 3-4 minutes until the onions are translucent.
- Next, add the beef mince, and cook until the beef is browned (i.e. fully cooked).
- Add the carrots and oregano, and stir to combine everything.
- Next add the chopped tomatoes and tomato puree, and mix these into the beef and veg.
- Add a twist of black pepper, and then the stock/water.
- Bring to the boil, and then turn the heat down to a simmer for 20-25 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- While the bolognaise is simmering, place a pot of slightly salted water to boil, and cook your spaghetti (or pasta alternative) according to package instructions.
- When the spaghetti is ready, turn the heat off your bolognaise, drain the pasta and divide it out into bowls.
- Place your pot of bolognaise in the centre of the table, and let everyone tuck in!
Enjoy guys! Tag me if you try this one out – @theirishbalance on Instagram/Twitter/Facebook!
Ciara 🙂 x