FINALLY. I’ve tried jackfruit in a few different foodie favourite spots of mine around Dublin by now, but when I spotted it recently in my supermarket, I knew it was high time I got creative at home with my own recipe! This spicy little jackfruit dish is a great quick and easy lunch, and also makes extra portions for you to share or save for the next day!
Recipe (Serves 3)
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 red onion, peeled and diced
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and minced
- 1 red bell pepper, de-cored and seeds removed, diced into small chunks
- 2 handfuls of washed spinach leaves
- 1 pack of Jackfruit (I used the brand Uptons)
- 140g tomato puree
- 1 400g tin of red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 3 tbsp soy sauce or tamari
- 200ml water
- 1 tbsp honey or maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp mild chili powder
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- Prepare your veggies first (garlic, pepper, onion and spinach) and set aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a pot on medium heat, and then add the garlic and onions, and cook for 3-4 minutes until the onions are translucent.
- Add the red pepper chunks and the jackfruit, and stir.
- Add the chili, smoked paprika, tomato puree, soy sauce, honey and water. Mix everything up to coat the veggies and jackfruit in the sauce.
- Add the kidney beans and spinach leaves. Stir, and bring to the boil. Season with a little twist of black pepper.
- Turn the heat down to the lowest setting and simmer for 5-7 minutes, adding a splash extra water if needed.
- You’re good to go! Tuck in! This is delicious with a side of sweet potato, or a grain like quinoa or brown rice!
Enjoy guys! Tag me if you try this one out – @theirishbalance on Instagram/Twitter/Facebook!
Ciara 🙂 x