It’s no secret that I’m definitely more of a cook than a baker, and although I do actually really enjoy baking, sometimes I don’t feel like having the oven on, especially when it’s warmer during these summer months! Recently, I was inspired by Performance Nutritionist Daniel Davy (he runs @foodflicker_official on Instagram) to try my hand at a No Bake energy bar based on oats – and happily, it was a success! So here’s the recipe below – quick to make, packed full of slow release energy, a dose of protein and healthy fats too!
Recipe (Makes 12 Bars)
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tbsp cacao powder
- 1 tbsp of honey or maple syrup
- 3 tbsp chocolate protein powder (I used chocolate pea protein but you can use any you prefer – the flavour you use will flavour the bars a little remember)
- 2 heaped tbsp of mixed seeds/nuts and dried fruit
- 2 heaped tbsp of tahini or nut butter
- 150g oats
- 150ml milk
- 50g of 70% or higher dark chocolate, broken into small chips
- This recipe couldn’t be simpler – literally, combine everything in a large bowl, and get mixing! It’s easiest if you start with the dry ingredients, then add the wet, and then combine it all.
- Take a square dish either lined with greaseproof paper or tinfoil greased with a little oil (I usually use grease tinfoil with a little olive oil), and add your batter to the dish, flattening it out so it’s evenly spread out.
- Place the dish in the fridge to allow the bars to set for 2 hours.
- Remove from the fridge, and slice up for a few day’s of snacks!
- Store these bars in a tupperware in the fridge, or you could freeze them for consumption at a later date.
Enjoy guys! Tag me if you try these out – @theirishbalance on Instagram/Twitter/Facebook!
Ciara 🙂 x