A NEW recipe for you guys! This latest plant-based creation is the third of my new vegetarian dinner recipes for 2019 – it was a 2019 resolution to make one new dinner each week without using meat! And happily, I get to share the creations with you guys!
Recipe (Serves 4)
- 1 tsp of dried thyme
- 1 tsp of dried rosemary
- 1 tsp dried parlsey
- 1 tbsp of extra virgin olive oil (for cooking)
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 red onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 250g of button mushrooms, stems removed and sliced
- 1 pack of fresh washed spinach leaves
- 200g of Spelt, rinsed
- 500ml of vegetable stock
- A twist of black pepper + pinch of sea salt
- Optional: A gorgeous nutty topping option is a handful of chopped hazelnuts!
- Set a pot on a medium heat on the hob or stove, and add the olive oil.
- Add the garlic and onions, and sweat the onions until translucent (usually 3-4 minutes).
- Add the mushrooms and spinach, then cook for another 2-3 minutes.
- Add the dried herbs and mix well.
- Add the spelt, followed by the vegetable stock.
- Stir everything together and bring to the boil.
- Once at boil, turn the heat down to a simmer and simmer for 30-35 minutes. Add extra liquid during this time if the risotto dries out – make sure to check on it every ten minutes or so!
- There should be a small bit of liquid left by the end of your cooking time.
- You’re good to go!
Enjoy guys! Tag me if you try this recipe out – @theirishbalance on Instagram/Twitter/Facebook!