Another plant-based success guys, using some of my favourite ingredients! I can’t wait to see what you guys think of this one – my family loved it, always a good sign!
Recipe (Serves 4)
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and minced
- 140g tomato puree (3 big tbsp)
- 1 tbsp wholegrain mustard
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar (you could use balsamic if you don’t have apple cider vinegar, it just might change the flavour slightly!)
- 1/4 tsp mild chili powder
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamonn
- 1 tsp ground cumi
- 1 red onion, peeled and diced
- 1 medium aubergine
- 250g button mushrooms
- 400g red kidney beans
- Brown Rice, to serve (or wholegrain, or your favourite alternative)
- Seasoning: A pinch of sea salt and a twist of black pepper
- Prepare your veggies and garlic by washing and dicing them up, and then set them aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a pot in medium heat, and then add the onions and garlic. Sweat the onions for 3-4 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms and aubergine next, and cook them for 5-7 minutes, or until the aubergine flesh releases a little juice and the mushrooms have wilted down in size.
- Add the mustard, tomato puree, vegetable stock, cumin, chili powder, cinnamon and vinegar, then season and mix everything up.
- Add the kidney beans, and stir them in.
- Bring the stew to the boil, and then turn the heat all the way down and simmer for about 15 minutes.
- While the dish is simmering, cook your side dish according to package instructions (e.g. brown rice, wholegrain rice, or your favourite!)
Enjoy guys! Tag me if you try this recipe out – @theirishbalance on Instagram/Twitter/Facebook!
Ciara 🙂 x