We’ve seen a LOT of different recipes out there for energy balls – and while I enjoy those that are date-based occasionally, I find them pretty faffy to make and sometimes just a bit too sweet for my tastebuds. So, this latest recipe is energy balls yes, but with a twist – based on oats, flaxseed and nut butter! I decided to get creative with flaxseed this week after attending a great Linwoods event on Women’s Health recently and receiving a goodie bag of milled flaxseed to try! I hope you guys love this recipe as much as I do – no faff, just simple healthy snacking!
Recipe (Makes 16 Energy Balls)
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 tbsp honey
- 2 heaped tbsp of peanut butter
- 3 tbsp of ground flaxseed
- 4 squares of good quality dark chocolate (aim 70% or higher)
- 100g of quick-cook oats
- 100ml milk
- 2 tbsp of water
- Combine the oats, cinnamon, chopped nuts and flaxseed in a mixing bowl.
- Add the milk, then the water and stir to combine.
- Add the honey, mix it in, then the peanut butter – mix everything again.
- Melt your dark chocolate in the microwave (take care with the hot bowl after!), then add it 1 scoop at a time to your mix, stirring with each addition.
- Using your hands, shape the batter into balls and add to a tray.
- They should be pretty well set when made, but do store them in the fridge for a couple of hours to really set them. They can stay stored in the fridge for up to 3-4 days and wrapped up to take with you each day! Or you could freeze them and defrost when needed.
Enjoy guys! Tag me if you try these out – @theirishbalance on Instagram/Twitter/Facebook!
Ciara 🙂 x