I’ve been working hard at expanding my recipe repertoire recently, and that includes more pasta creations! Since going back to college to start my Masters in Public Health and Nutrition, I’ve become quite aware of the need for creative but relatively simple recipes that don’t seem like a massive chore during a busy working and studying week. This mushroom pasta dish is a little bit different in that we use the mushrooms mostly for the sauce, but that’s what makes it all the more creamy and delicious! Plus we’ve got a serious dose of veggie goodness from the greens of broccoli and spinach in this recipe. I can’t wait to see what you guys think!
Recipe (Serves 2)
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp dried rosemary
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- 1 tbsp Dijon Mustard
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and finely diced
- 1 red onion
- 200g of button mushrooms
- 1 cup of broccoli florets
- 2 handfuls of washed spinach leaves
- 50ml of milk of choice
- 2 Servings of Pasta of Choice: I use Wholegrain/Wholemeal or Chickpea Pasta but work with whatever you have or prefer
- Set a pot of water to boil, and cook your pasta according to the package instructions while you work on the sauce.
- Wash and dice up your veg – onion, mushrooms, and broccoli.
- Heat the olive oil in a pot, and add the garlic and red onion, cooking for 3-4 minutes until the onions are translucent.
- Add 3/4 of the mushrooms, followed by the herbs, and cook until the mushrooms are softened (about 5-7 minutes). Save 1/4 of the mushrooms and set them aside for now.
- Turn off the heat, and tip the mixture into a blender cup, and then add your mustard. Blitz the mix until it reaches a creamy sauce consistency.
- In your pot you cooked the mushrooms in, add another tablespoon of olive oil, and then cook the remaining mushrooms, broccoli and garlic until wilted.
- When the pasta is ready, drain it and add it to the pot with the broccoli/mushrooms/onions, and stir everything together.
- Finally, tip the sauce into the pot, and stir to mix everything together – pasta, sauce and veg.
- Serve in two bowls, and tuck in!
Enjoy guys! As always, tag me if you try this one out – @theirishbalance on Instagram/Twitter/Facebook!
Ciara 🙂 x