This week’s recipe is a ‘soup’-er one – see what I did there! I’ve used chickpeas, one of my favourite recipes, to bring you a plant protein and fibre packed dish that is a great to make ahead. This recipe gives you 3 of your 5-7 servings of fruits and vegetables per day too!
Recipe (Serves 4)
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 clove of garlic
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp dried coriander
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 x 400g tin of chopped tomatoes
- 1 x 400g tin of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 red pepper, de-seeded and diced into 1 inch chunks
- 1 courgette, diced into coins and then coins quartered
- 8 cherry tomatoes, halved
- Wash and chop the vegetables as described above and garlic and set aside for now.
- Heat the oil in a medium sized pot on your cooking hob/stove, then add the onions and garlic, and cook for 3-4 minutes to sweat the onions a little.
- Add the peppers, courgette and tomatoes and stir.
- Add the spices and stir to combine them into the veggies.
- Add the stock, chickpeas and chopped tomatoes, and mix everything up again.
- Season, and bring to the boil.
- Turn the heat down to the lowest setting and simmer for 20 minutes.
- After 20 minutes, blend using your food processor (take care with the heat!), a handheld blender, or as I did, your Nutribullet!
- You can freeze portions of this soup too – just ensure you defrost before consuming.
Enjoy guys! Tag me if you try this one out – @theirishbalance on Instagram/Twitter/Facebook!
Ciara 🙂 x