An epic vegetarian twist on my recent tagine recipe (find the beef version here) is this week’s creation for you guys – I can’t wait to see what you think of it!
Recipe (Serves 3-4)
- 1 tbsp olive or rapeseed oil
- 1 tsp of ground cumin
- 1 tsp of ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp of sumac
- 2 tsp of ground turmeric
- 2 heaped tbsp of tomato puree
- 2 tbsp of balsamic vinegar
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and minced
- 1 red onion, peeled and diced
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and chopped into coins, then quarter the coins
- 1 aubergine, sliced into one inch chunks (cut the top off first)
- 250g button mushrooms, stems removed, washed and sliced
- 1 x 400ml tin of chopped tomatoes
- 1 x 400g tin of red kidney beans (drain and rinse before using)
- 200ml of water or stock
- Servings of Brown Rice (number of servings/grams dependent on how many mouths you’re feeding) – other grain options that would work well with this recipe would be couscous or quinoa
- Wash and prepare your veggies as above. Set aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a medium size pot, then add the chopped onions and garlic. Cook for 3-4 minutes until the onions are softened, then add the veggies and cook for another 3-4 minutes.
- Add the spices, and stir for another 5 minutes to coat the veg in them.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, tomato puree and stock, and stir everything to mix it all together.
- Add the kidney beans, and mix them in.
- Bring the tagine to the boil, then turn the heat all the way down to the lowest setting, and simmer for 20 minutes.
- While the tagine is simmering, cook your chosen side dish.
- After the simmer time you’re good to go! Serve up, and tuck in!
Enjoy guys! Tag me if you try this recipe out – @theirishbalance on Instagram/Twitter/Facebook!
Ciara 🙂 x