While in London this year, I had an absolutely gorgeous Peruvian style dinner at a spot called Ceviche in Shoreditch. I’m not a dessert girl really – I much prefer starters and main courses when eating out, but every part of the menu in this place caught my eye and made my mouth water. I loved the dessert selection – traditional Peruvian desserts including picarones, and a gorgeous guava coconut chia pudding. The pudding was a joy to see on the menu, as chia seeds aren’t something you really see in dinner menus, despite being a great source of fibre and omega-3 fatty acids! So I decided when I got home to create my own version, with some seasonal summer berries – even with September landing recently, why not keep the vibe alive!
Recipe (Serves 1 – But just double or triple it if doing this for a group!)
- 100ml of milk of choice
- 100ml of natural greek-style yoghurt (you want it thick!)
- 1 handful of blueberries
- 4-5 strawberries (stem removed and sliced)
- 2 tbsp whole chia seeds
- 1 tsp cacao nibs or chocolate chips
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- Optional: Feel free to get creative with extra toppings – dried coconut flakes, seeds, whatever tickles your foodie fancy!
- This is super simple. Combine the chia seeds, cinnamon, milk and yoghurt in a small jar or tupper-ware, and refrigerate overnight to allow the chia seeds to soak into the liquid.
- The next day, give the mixture a stir again, and top with blueberries, strawberries and cacao nibs or chocolate chips! That’s it – serve!
Enjoy guys! This is such a simple and fresh dessert – it would also be a great grab and go breakfast! Tag me if you try it out – @theirishbalance on Instagram/Twitter/Facebook!
Ciara 🙂 x