Summers in my house mean many things, but one food-related regular feature is a solid BBQ style dinner. Recently, I decided it was high time to try my hand at a homemade side dish I’ve been meaning to take on for ages – potato salad! Now, I’m not gonna slam store bough potato salads here, but what I will say is that many are loaded with additives and preservatives, upping the fat and sugar content. Making your own means you can take pride in a dish from scratch, and you know every ingredient in there too! Plus, it’s delish, makes more than enough servings to go around, and keeps really well for lunches the next day!
Recipe (Serves 6-8)
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tbsp creme fraiche
- 1 tbsp natural yoghurt
- 1 tsp tarragon
- 1 tsp flat leaf parsley
- 1 tbsp Wholegrain Mustard
- 10 White Potatoes of choice (the type doesn’t matter, you could even use sweet potato if you want!) – I used New Season Potatoes
- 200g of cooked beetroot (I use the brand Chef from the jar, either whole or sliced)
- 1 Pink Lady apple
- Seasoning with black pepper & sea salt
- Wash the spuds, and chop them into quarters.
- Boil the potatoes as you would normally until soft. When done, set aside in a small bowl to cool.
- Make your dressing while your potatoes boil – combine the creme fraiche, yoghurt, tarragon, parsley, oil and seasoning in a small bowl, and stir to combine.
- When the potatoes are cooled, pour the dressing on top, and stir in to coat the potato chunks.
- Slice the apple and beetroot, and add these to the salad.
- Voila! You’re finished! Serve, and take all the credit for a delicious dish!
Enjoy guys! Tag me if you try this one out – @theirishbalance on Instagram/Twitter/Facebook!
Ciara 🙂 x